business travel and fly tying

E

edhank

Do any of you do a lot of business travel and take a fly tying kit with to pass evenings in the motel room? How do you pack a kit? Do you focus on one or two patterns and take only on the materials needed for those one or two patterns? Do you use one of those fly tying kit bags? If so which one do you like?
My travel for work this year is probably going to increase a hundred fold and will need something to do to help pass the lonely evenings in the motel room.

Ed,

I pack and take my tying stuff when I go on trips and for other down time situations when on the road. Here is my set up.

I have a plano tackle box with all my tools and thread in it and vice. My hooks are in a plastic plano container that fits in the tackle box. I also keep beads, and all the other stuff I use at my desk at home in there. When I set up, I just open up the bonx and extend the three tray dealio and I am ready to go. I also put all my dubbings, chenilles, maribou mad winging materials in a shoebox. that sits on top of the tackle box and all goes in a cardboard box.

My neighbor is a woodworker and built a tying station that is pretty neat. I took his design and expanded on it and plan to build one. But for now I just pack it up and go.

Maurice

When I travel, I try to pack as little as possible. I use a make-up bag/shower bag. It is great because it has individual compartments for my tools and thread. In the bigger compartments I stick my dubbing, hackle and so on. As for hooks and beads, I get small tackle boxes and fill them up; unless it if for a while then I just stick all the hook boxes in a duffle bag.
Good luck passing the time.

check out a craft store. i picked up a craft box that has lots of compartments on the lid, and i organize all my hackle, hair, etc in big old ziplocks in the main compartment. since i don't have a regular tying area, i set up either at work or at the dining room table.

I have one of these

Shortened Link To Cabelas Product

from Cabelas that I have used for travelling. Real handy although I replaced a lot of the tools with better stuff. The vice is adequate but I can fit my old Thompson A in there.

Regards, Bill

Ed:

I can not offer any advise better than what is stated. I will say this. If you are traveling for work and flying you will have to check your bag to get the tools through. Checking bags and traveling for work is a bad idea, IMO. It takes too much time and if you are on a connecting flight good luck. You do not want to be out on the road working without a change of clothes or have to rely on the local mall for clothes. Don't stay in the hotel in the evening........ go out and explore. I've found some great little places all over the country. Here is my favorite web site for finding those places...http://www.roadfood.com

I only pack enough tying material to tie one or two different patterns just helps to lighted the load and keeps me focused (different sizes of course). I usually tie mostly dries when traveling. Ziplock bags

Joe E

Guys,

I use a little travel bag from Cabela's and only take the material I need for a certain pattern. I do most of my tying on my lunch break and any down time at work. Here's a picture of my set-up.
JH

Back