Brookie pattern

mattd

mattd

Trying to get ready for winter and I was pondering trying some new things. When the water gets real cold alot of the fish are not active, trying to save their energy. Alot of the small streams I fish hold brooks and browns year round. During the winter months i don't catch as many trout but when I do its usually the larger browns. The larger trout can feed on smaller fish that are innactive, making them easy targets. The larger fish gain body warmth and take advantage of this. I was wondering if anyone had any Brook trout patterns or know where I can purchase a fly like that. I think it may be a killer for winter browns.

I think I like the top one. Maybe use blue or purple spots instead of green but that definately gives me an idea. Thanks.

Can you give us a material list for those two flies! They are awesome!!!

Actually no, I just googled them, but you can come close by looking at them. Fudge it, you may improve them.

A Mickey Finn streamer works for me. Basically a yellow and red streamer. I tie it with marabou for more movement.

http://buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly_tying/mickey_finn/mickey_finn_streamer.htm

I use roman moser's streamer brush. Then color it with markers.

As an aside, in the middle of winter, I use large beadhead nymph patterns with extra weight.

Mckern,
What kind of marker do you use? I would think they would leave behind quite an unnatural smell. Also, do the colors hold long?

The markers I use are either sharpies, chartpac, or prisma color. However, Roman Moser has his own brand. The markers probably do have a scent in the water, but for explosive, instinct type strikes, I don't think scent will be ahuge factor and more than the scent of odors on human hands.
The colors do not come off in any of my experiences. I'm sure if you fished it all day, they might.

This fly is on a standard streamer hook. It has an light olive floss body and 3 turns of olive streamer brush. I colored the top with darker olive, the bottom red, and added parr marks with the side of a black sharpie. The eyes are 3D streamer eyes and are locked in place with Zap-a-Gap.

Attachments

• Copy of Brook Trout.jpg
    Copy of Brook Trout.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3
This is stream that I dabbled with a few years ago, but never really fished it. But, I'm sure it would work in this type of situation. (This is one fly I don't mind showing over the internet--others you have to see in person)

It is heavy lead weighted hook.
Rusted bead chain eyes. Antron or para post tail (colored to preference) Gold wire Super brite dubbing (this is peacock, but the olive looks nice too) And, red duck quills for fins, but turkey biots work as well.

Attachments

• Copy of M.Kern\'s Minnow.jpg
    Copy of M.Kern\'s Minnow.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 3
Back