Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Beginner Fly tying question

From SE PA
I hope I sized this photo properly.

I wasn't sure whether this is a question for the Beginner's forum or Fly Tying, but here goes...

I'm new at fly fishing and that rapidly let to fly tying. I tied a few Zebra Midge pattern flies for winter trout, and I tied them in 14, 16, and size 20. The attached photo is a size 20.

I noticed that I had a lot of trouble hooking trout with the size 20 hook. When I switched to a larger hook size, I caught two rainbows. Both were hooked in the upper lip. (And there was nothing like the feeling like catching a trout on a fly I tied, even if they were less than perfect).

Questions...

Is the bead too large for the size #20 ? (I think it was 7/64")

Was my hook setting too slow?

I'll take any advice on the fly that I tied or anything else regarding setting the hook using smaller flies.

Weaves

Attach file:

jpg  Midge Beadhead2.jpg (93.58 KB)
6848_50df00ce0164c.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2012/12/29 9:40

Re: Beginner Fly tying question

From Philadelphia
Use 2mm beads on size 20

Posted on: 2012/12/29 10:20

From Lancaster Co.
The bead is too large. I don't think it's a case of your hook set being too slow. I've always been of the opinion that if a fish eats your fly, it eats your fly and the timing of your hook set doesn't really have a lot to do with it. Sometimes you just don't get a solid hook up and the fish gets off.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 10:23

From Abington
Yep, the bead is a little largish...you'd get better hookups with a smaller bead. and you could probably skip the herl on a zebra that size....I don't use herl on any of my zebra's and they catch fish...It's a matter of personal choice...

If I was a trout I'd eat it.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 10:24

From SE PA
Thanks for the advice guys.

I took a 2nd try at the Zebra Midge on a #20. I picked up some smaller beads last week. These beads are 5/64". I had a feeling the original ones were too large.

Can you guys take a look at this one and let me know any other things I could improve?

The one on the left was the orignial, the one on the right is the new one.

Thanks for your help guys.

Weaves

Attach file:

jpg  Zebra Midge Redo.jpg (61.00 KB)
6848_50df20caad7fc.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 2012/12/29 11:57

From Abington
Much better...I would run the taper back further toward the bend though...

Posted on: 2012/12/29 12:09

From Souderton PA
The second one looks much better. I agree with Volksnurse on the body length. Personally I would skip the bead on a midge this size. I almost never use beads (Like A.K. Best said, I never saw a nymph with his head stuck in a brass ball) so take this advice with an appropriate grain of salt. I belive that a natural midge that size would be very easily swept along by the current, and any additional weight will make it appear unnatural. A turn of herl in place of the bead will provide a bit of contrast and lifelike movement without causing the fly to "swim" funny.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 12:23

From Abington
You're probably right Mike, I tie them with beads more out of habit than practicality. This was the first pattern I tied....

Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
The second one looks much better. I agree with Volksnurse on the body length. Personally I would skip the bead on a midge this size. I almost never use beads (Like A.K. Best said, I never saw a nymph with his head stuck in a brass ball) so take this advice with an appropriate grain of salt. I belive that a natural midge that size would be very easily swept along by the current, and any additional weight will make it appear unnatural. A turn of herl in place of the bead will provide a bit of contrast and lifelike movement without causing the fly to "swim" funny.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 17:19

From Clinton County, Pa.
I use 1/16" beads on my size 20 and smaller zebra midges. They are not as easy to find as the larger beads but they are available if you look around a little.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 17:30

From Gettysburg
Agree - the original fly had a bead that was too large and this likely "closed the gap" on the hook and caused the missed fish. The second fly looks better and has a bead more in proportion to the hook size.

Just speaking for myself, when it comes to very small midge flies - say about #22 and certainly smaller - I prefer not to use a bead. They're just too much trouble at that size. As an alternative to get that tapered body shape, you can just build up a thread head and give it a good coat or two of head cement or a tiny drop of epoxy - much easier and works/looks just as good.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 21:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
42 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com