Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

begining flytyer

I was on here before the website got changed and somebody mentioned a begining flytying book. It was called the benchside something or other. It was supposed to teach you techniques more so than patterns. If you know the full name of the book or have any other books you recomend please post them. thank you.

Posted on: 2006/12/3 14:03

Re: begining flytyer

From Room 109

Posted on: 2006/12/3 15:54

From Greensburg, PA
I have his book and its just what it says, a great reference. I would not reccomend it as a beginning tying book but once you've tied some flies it would be excellent.

As a beginner I would look more toward some of the videos where they show and explain how to tie four or five of the most common and effective patter. ex...bugger, adams, hare's ear nymph and royal wulff, elk hair caddis...

Once you're looking to expand some techniques and variations, this book is extremely helpful and thorough.

Posted on: 2006/12/3 16:23

From Lehigh Valley
http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tiers-Benchside-Reference/dp/1571881263

The CD version is great as well. Valuable resource for any fly tyer, any skill level.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 0:48

From Altoona, PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tiers-Benchside-Reference/dp/1571881263

The CD version is great as well. Valuable resource for any fly tyer, any skill level.

As a guy who has repaired a number of PC's, I have a strong reaction against tying CD's. A PC's heat fan creates a vaacum effect sucking dirt inside the PC. I can't imagine anything worse for a PC than to have bits of feathers and dubbing coating the motherboard. If you have a fly tying CD, print out the pages you are interested in, but keep the PC well away from the flytying bench if at all possible.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 7:26

There is a new book out called the Benchside Introduction to fly tying which shows you step by step how to tie the flies. Its not nearly as in dpeth or as costly as the origional benchside refrence.

Posted on: 2006/12/6 18:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com