Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Beads

From Mercer, Pa
i am relatively new to fly tying, and I've been experiencing some problems with getting beads around the bend of my sproat hooks for nymphs, specifically smaller sizes (18+). I have heard that you can use the dry fly equivalent and it will be easier to get the bead around the bend, but I already have a decent supply of nymph/wet fly hooks. Is there any tips/tricks or something i may be doing wrong? It is not a devestating problem, its just annoying. i tried crimping the barb and that worked for some but not all. I currently am using beads for size 16 hooks, because I've found that i usually have to "bump up" to the bigger size bead to get it around the bend. but even that isn't working on 18+ sizes.

Any help?

Posted on: 2013/2/28 10:17

Re: Beads

From Portage, PA
Are you pinching the barb?

If you are not this will fix your problem.

Some times you can take your finger nail at the bottom and apply pressure. I would not suggest bending the hook out and re-bending this will cause weakness.

You may also want to crimp foreceps to the bead and pull it on with the metal tool.

Look into beads with the slot on the bottom as well.

hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:02

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
sproat hooks are not intended for beads....that being said mike above hit it..

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:07

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Mercer, Pa
im pinching the barb, but i either bend the hook or hurt my fingers trying to get it around the bend. I am realizing now why you say sproat hooks are not intended for beads. I have never tried the slotted beads, maybe that is something that i should look into.

What is baffling me is that some of the beads slide on easy, all of the others get stuck. I would say maybe 1 out of 5 slide on easy when the barb is pinched

Posted on: 2013/2/28 15:46

From Clearville Pa
Quote:

guppieguy wrote:
im pinching the barb, but i either bend the hook or hurt my fingers trying to get it around the bend. I am realizing now why you say sproat hooks are not intended for beads. I have never tried the slotted beads, maybe that is something that i should look into.

What is baffling me is that some of the beads slide on easy, all of the others get stuck. I would say maybe 1 out of 5 slide on easy when the barb is pinched

if thats the case it might be the hook/bead tolerance that might be the problem

Posted on: 2013/2/28 15:54

From Mercer, Pa
well for now the problem is avoided... i just settled on using 18 dry hooks.

the shank is slightly shorter, but for now I will manage. Live and learn i suppose. At this stage i feel it is more important to tie the pattern multiple times just for the sake of learning it and improving my skills....I've been tying for about 2 months. I completed a class at Neshannock Creek Fly Shop in January and have been tying like a fiend since!

Posted on: 2013/2/28 17:22

From Shrewsbury, PA
Could be that you're using a larger bead than what is meant for the hook size. I mainly use tungsten beads and when I want some additional weight to a particular size fly, I use a proper size bead and either add another bead of smaller size or use lead wrap. I can cover the smaller bead with dubbing.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 9:15

From Mercer, Pa
That's interesting, i would have never thought to dub over the bead.

From what I've found with the tungsten beads I've been using, i need to use the next size bigger that what the bead says it will fit, i.e bead for size 16 hook actually used on a size 14

but then again that also before i was told that sproat hooks aren't designed for beads..

Posted on: 2013/3/1 9:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
104 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com