Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bass Popper hooks

From Ephrata, PA
I want to start tying some poppers, but I don't have hooks that large. What's the standard hook used for such things?

Posted on: 2012/7/11 8:57

Re: Bass Popper hooks

From Lancaster Co.
I can't remember the ID # on the hooks but any you buy in a fly shop should indicate they can be used for poppers. I think my small mouth poppers inventory came from a pack that included hooks and matching heads. The heads were the pre-formed ones with the slit that you can mount as a popper or slider. The curvature of those hooks would have been fine if you were going to spin a hair popper on them.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 9:14

From Ephrata, PA
I never tied a popper in my life. With the slits, what do you use to seal it up then? How do you secure the foam head to the hook?

Posted on: 2012/7/11 9:21

From Lancaster Co.
Put a thread base on the hook shank. Super glue the popper head on that. Mine have never come off. You are only tying materials on a small portion of the shank behind the popper head. I think the ones I have are a hard foam or similar material. They do not absorb any water even where the slit was cut. The heads are white and can be painted any color you like.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 9:24

From Gettysburg
I use standard streamer hooks - really anything with a long shank. Hook depends (of course) on the size of the fly. I like the "pencil" style popper heads available in most fly shops that are made of a sort of hard resin with a slit across the bottom. I prefer to make the face convex using a Dremel tool. I fix the hook in the slit with epoxy and then paint and finish the head.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 9:47

From NC PA Mountains
A good inexpensive hook that I like is the mustad 3366.
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/sproat-hooks/810305.aspx

Posted on: 2012/7/11 11:07

From Lancaster
Squatch,

I just started tying poppers also with some guidance from Fishidiot. I bought the Wapsi perfect poppers (pencil type poppers) that came 10 in a pack with hooks included. I painted them first with acyrilic paint. Then I mounted them to the hooks with 30 minute epoxy. The 30 minute stuff does an excellent job sealing up the bottom gap and is tough as nails. I added some marabou and a little krystle flash for the tailing. I finished them by coating the entire body with Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails enamel in the "disco ball" flavor. This enamel is clear with a rainbow glitter look. They really turned out pretty cool. There are a number of steps involved but they are fun to make. Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 7:30

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
Squatch,

I just started tying poppers also with some guidance from Fishidiot. I bought the Wapsi perfect poppers (pencil type poppers) that came 10 in a pack with hooks included. I painted them first with acyrilic paint. Then I mounted them to the hooks with 30 minute epoxy. The 30 minute stuff does an excellent job sealing up the bottom gap and is tough as nails. I added some marabou and a little krystle flash for the tailing. I finished them by coating the entire body with Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails enamel in the "disco ball" flavor. This enamel is clear with a rainbow glitter look. They really turned out pretty cool. There are a number of steps involved but they are fun to make. Good luck.

These should work. No need to get to fancy with a lot of tail materials.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 10:13

From lebanon, pa
i'm working on some right now.
i'm a believer that cork is king. i have used foam both hard and soft, and it works. but i have tied cork poppers and foam poppers in the same size and color combo, the cork will out fish the foam every time. i will not use those hard foam bodies.
i like the hooks made for poppers, with "S" kink in the shank.
then i just super glue the cork onto the hook, once the glue is setup i use gloss testors enamel paint. i have played with colors over the years, but a white body is just hard to beat. white is so hard to beat, it is the only color i use on the body any more. collar and tail can vary but a black collar with a white tail is my go to popper.
start to finish pictures to follow.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:56

From lebanon, pa
the bare hooks, i like mustad hooks and factory fresh cork bodies. these are a size 8 fly.

the hooks with freshly crimped barbs super glued onto the hooks.
i prefer the slider style. i also trim the "cup" off the body to square it up a bit.
i also do not worry much about gap in the slit on the body. if the gap is wide, i'll give the body a pinch as the glue sets up.

Attach file:

jpg  slider1.JPG (100.85 KB)
1776_5000a8a5527c1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  slider2.JPG (88.68 KB)
1776_5000a8b528def.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/13 19:09

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
cork is heavier than the foam bodies and will set lower in the water along with a better splash. i use all the different bodies but prefer cork. mustad kinked hooks are the way to go, cover hook shank with thread though it will glue to popper head better than a bare shank..

Posted on: 2012/7/28 6:26

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Cleona, Pa
TMC 8089 bass bug, great has a super wide gap

Posted on: 2012/9/21 20:37

From Secane
Hey Sass, I have been tying popper this summer. The Wapsi kits are a great start. You can also get just the hooks or bodies separately
I can bring some of them with me if your going to the tying seminar at the Lehigh center. Its a whole lot of fun and you can go as far as you want to in creativity

Posted on: 2012/9/21 22:38

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
cork is heavier than the foam bodies and will set lower in the water along with a better splash. i use all the different bodies but prefer cork. mustad kinked hooks are the way to go, cover hook shank with thread though it will glue to popper head better than a bare shank..

^+1

Posted on: 2012/9/21 23:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com