Barbell Weights

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

When tying in barbell weights on the top of the hook does it allow the hook point to ride up when stripping? If this is the case I see so many streamers that look like they are tied upside down. I am looking to make some trout patterns with some barbell weights and I want to make sure I don't tie the color patterns wrong when its being stripped in.

yes, if you tie barbell eyes on top of the hook, the hook will ride point up, so you'll have to tie the flies "upside down".

Yup thats what I was thinking...I'm going to be tying up some baby trout hair streamers kind of like a clouser. Just wanted to make sure like for my browns I put the brown on top and yellow on the bottom and so on... Thanks!

Not intending to nit-pick with this. Whether or not the hook flips upside down with barbell eyes depends on the weight of the eyes and the hook. In any particular application, you may have to go a size or two larger with the barbell eyes to accomplish the flip over.

Materials and placement count, as well, but presuming you know what pattern you want to tie and the preferred hook, barbell weight is what you will likely want to adjust.

IF you want the hook point to ride up most of the material needs to be tied "inside" the hook as well as the eyes on top of the hook.

Thanks...all useful information for when I tie up these patterns. I've been too busy though tying up some hendrexons and nymphs for my brother and dad. I'll get around to these streemers sometime soon though. Everything makes sense though thats been mentioned and some of that I didn't originally think of like tying more on the inside bend of the hook so greatly appreciated!

Back