Articulated Flys - Regulation Compliant?

jdaddy

jdaddy

Ok, been getting really crazy with the salmon/steel/bass flys lately and started looking at some articulated patterns that incorporate two hooks. Do the multiple hooks present any issues with special reg waters? I know there are some "single fly" "single hook point" regs out there, right?

They are a no go on the salmon.

They are a no go due to the single hook, and I would imagine that would be the only problem other than the hook gap!

But what if you snip the point off of one of the hooks, That would allow you the articulated fly right?

It's been discussed before about FFO sections in PA, and I think the consensus was that snipping one of the hooks met the spirit of the law. Beyond that, there was no real explicit ruling anywhere. I'd check with a WCO if you're worried.

I would imagine that snipping one of the hooks would make you compliant at the salmon, as I think gribble was suggesting. That said, you'll lose a LOT of flies up there, and it's definitely worth it to try to simplify as much as possible. I wouldn't bother.

I have always assumed that an articulated fly is in fact a single fly and therefore may have only one hook if it is to be used in FFO waters requiring "single hook flies." An articulated fly tied with two hooks would not be legal. If you were to cut off one of the hooks in an articulated fly (it seems to me) that this is clearly in keeping with both the spirit and letter of the law and would thus be legal. I tie articulated flies with both double and single hooks. If you routinely carry a multi-tool or something like this while fishing you can always cut off a hook if you're entering reg waters.

Where in the FFO regulations does it say you can only use 1 hook? Basically an articulated fly is a tandem fly in itself. There is wire/line connecting the 2 hooks. I don't see how it would not be compliant. So I can't use a tandem nymph combo in a FFO section?

So can you not fish tandem flies in the FFO section?

" * Open to fishing year-round (no closed season).
* Fishing hours – One hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset.
* No trout may be killed or had in possession.
* Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited.
* Fishing must be done with tackle limited to fly rods, fly reels and fly line with a maximum of 18 feet in leader material or monofilament line attached. Spinning, spincast and casting rods and reels are prohibited.
* The use or possession of any natural bait, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded), or any other edible substance is prohibited.
* Taking baitfish or fishbait is prohibited.
* Wading is permitted unless otherwise posted.
* A current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit) is required.
"

I think it's incorrect to equate articulated flies with tandem rigs. The issue with articulated is that the fish is getting multiple hooks in it.

To my understanding, the standard maximum of 3 flies is allowed on FFO.

"Technically" though isn't an articulated streamer tied using line or wire to connect the 2? Even though they are tied very close together, I think they are technically 2 flies if there are no materials joining the 2 pieces except the line/wire.

I have a feeling that a WCO won't buy that, and that a judge wouldn't either.

The spirit and the intent of the law is pretty explicit that the flies can only have one hook. I wouldn't try to fight that fight, and you know how much I love arguing technicalities.

I sure do that's why I'm trying to help out.

Lets say you take that back end to your articulated fly and extend it out a foot. Is it still a 2 hook fly, or is it now a tandem?? Length shouldn't matter. (pun intended)

I thikn the law means you can't use treble hooks and tie flies.

I think articulated flies are one fly (within reason - you can't have 10 hooks and cal it one fly). If a fish sees a "swimming" baitfish fly it sees it as one food item, not a front half and back half.

When all else fails cut one of the hooks.

ryguyfi wrote:
I sure do that's why I'm trying to help out.

Lets say you take that back end to your articulated fly and extend it out a foot. Is it still a 2 hook fly, or is it now a tandem?? Length shouldn't matter. (pun intended)

That would result in losing the effectiveness of the articulated fly. The fish would short strike the first hook, and be missed.

Just trying to make a point jay. Lets say I tied 2 Pheasant tail nymphs together with a 1/4 inch piece of tippet? Is that 1 fly, or 2?

Two, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it cited.

An articulated fly, however, is intended to represent one item.

The "letter and spirit" clause is added to these regulations for this very reason.

sometimes the trout hit the "head " of the fly and sometimes the tail as jayl the meat hunter knows , so clipping either one could cause missed strikes

So, where do tube flies fit into the regs, especially those using an undressed bare hook at the end? Here, nothing is wound on or about the hook.

I do tie and fish some of the traditionally tied tandem style streamers but don't use them on FFO areas because of the two hook points.
But, I will fish articulated streamers with the front hook clipped at the bend. (If you cut the bend off a hook, is it still a hook?)

Dano makes a darn good point about tube and shank style flies. I know quite a few guys that fish these types of flies(myself included), particularly for the advantages of the hook being able to be swapped out and for the hook to be riding "stinger style" at the back of the fly. To my knowledge, shank and tube flies are perfectly legal in FFO, never heard of anyone having problems with the Regs. IMO if the bend and hook point are taken away it is no longer a hook, but a shank.

On tube flies, the statement is "on or about." I'd be willing to argue that the tube is "about" the hook, even if someone were to push back, which, as Jay says, is probably not a violation of the "spirit."

Back