Articulated Flies

F

flynoob

I am looking to start tying articulated streamers and nymphs and am wondering what the preferred material is for attaching the two hooks and if there is a specific style of bead to put between.

Thanks

I use steel leader and lash it to the lead hook. I don't use a bead, though I may wrap the shank of the doubled wire with a mylar tubing on occasion.

I hve used fire wire for my flies. Here is a link to Kelly Galloup's Circus Peanut and it gives you the materials and a link to them too.

http://flyfishingtheozarks.com/2011/12/02/fly-tying-video-kelly-galloups-articulated-circus-peanut/

Give Russ Madden his props for designing the Peanut. Kelly just uses it and sells it.

Sex Dungeon, Zoo Cougar, all are great. Great names, as well. I tie a bastardized version of both I call the Sex Zoo Monkey Butt Emerging Egg Sucking Special Spinner. It's easier to tie than it sounds.

25# test Spider Wire or Berkley steel leader material... no bead

I use 7-strand beading wire and 2 craft store glass beads.

Backing material. I have a ton of it sitting around and at 20# it's good enough for me.

I've been told that the beads prevent the trailer fly from twisting. Do the beads come in different sizes or does it even really matter?

I use the beading wire and glass beads from the craft store as well. I usually use 2 beads. The beads help to keep the hooks from catching one another and they add a little color flash to the middle of the fly as well.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Give Russ Madden his props for designing the Peanut. Kelly just uses it and sells it.

I didn't know that. Learn something everyday.
Thanks

Back