Angora yarn

jayL

jayL

I have been tying sucker spawns with this stuff lately, and it looks awesome. Depending on how it fishes, I might use it exclusively.

I have browsed michaels site and couldn't find it. Anyone have a good bulk source? I'm all for supporting fly shops, but not when they take materials and sell them at a 500% increase.

I have found it on the web, but I'd really like to see the shades in person before buying.

Its not expensive at our Gander Mountain. Less than chenille if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure that you can buy it in bulk in a multitude of colors. I'm pretty sure that if you wanna buy in bulk, you have to buy white and dye it.

I tie my sucker spawns in angora and regular craft yarn. I haven't noticed a difference in "fishability". But there definitely is a difference in price!

Not sure what material the yarn is made of that I tied my SS's for the swap is, but I stole it off my wife and it looks great! I have no problem checking out the craft stores when she goes looking for yarn or scrapbooking stuff anymore!

Ry you girly man. I've seen your type in the craft store and I just laugh;

only because I know you're like me!

You should have seen the look on my wife's face the first time I asked her if we could make a stop at Pat Catans.

EDIT

Jay I've also never seen multi-colored angora in bulk or I'd be on it. I know my local shop bought a good amount and dyed it to the colors they desired.

foam, beads, lead (once), yarn, chinelle, marabou, tinsel, and a few other items to list what I've bought from craft stores.

I'm cheaper than the Pittsburgh Pirates front office. :-D

Ryguyfi:

I didn't know you could get lead (wire) at craft stores. What section did you find it in?

The craft store is also good source for floss. They have more colors than you can imagine. I bought some DMC floss in a few different colors for midge bodies. They have worked for me :)

One of the workerbees at the craft shop asked me what I was doing in the yarn section once. I explained to him, and you could see the bulb go off while he realized that's what all the burly out-of-place guys are doing lurkng around the yarn and beads.

I saw lead wire once and didn't buy it. Tried to find it again and never did. My wife has tried to buy me it before but always gets the wrong stuff. Ohh well.

Can't recall what section it was in.

jayL wrote:
I have been tying sucker spawns with this stuff lately, and it looks awesome. Depending on how it fishes, I might use it exclusively.

I have browsed michaels site and couldn't find it. Anyone have a good bulk source? I'm all for supporting fly shops, but not when they take materials and sell them at a 500% increase.

I have found it on the web, but I'd really like to see the shades in person before buying.

This is what you've been looking for.

Tucker Yarn Co. - Allentown

They have a selection that boggles the mind. The bad news is that you can buy in bulk, but what the heck are you gonna do with that much of one color?

The smart way to do it is to get a couple of guys to split the cost of a couple of skeins of good colors. You'd still wind up with a lifetime supply.

H.A.

Oh yeah - Tuckers is on Hamilton in Allentown. Not exactly a nice neighborhood. :-o

Its not a that bad neighborhood. My mom lives on Turner a few blocks away in the historic district. Just go in the daytime.

HA,

You're forgetting where I live!

6 or 7 years in this city, and I couldn't name a ghetto that I'm afraid of.

Except camden.

Thanks for the info.

FishUSA has angora in bulk.
http://www.fishusa.com/Angora-Yarn-by-the-ball_p.html

FishUSA has angora in bulk.
http://www.fishusa.com/Angora-Yarn-by-the-ball_p.html

I've purchased angora from FishUSA and have been happy with it, but I tend to stick with the cards. The selection is limited with the bulk angora, but the colors I tend to use the most are there. Pink and Canary generally are my top producers.

Back