Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: And here is why I don't buy from the little guy........

From Butler
good post there heritage -- you have officially sold me on FFP -- next time I am around there, that will be the first place that I hit and i will tell them that you sent me!

Posted on: 2009/2/3 19:54

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
The big stores can get away with out charging for shipping because they get their stuff cheaper(%) than we the little guy does because they buy in large bulk..(5,000 items of the same compared to 60) what do you people think we make per item, most of my stuff is under 20% under retail, I have to make up the shipping somewhere. big stores are a full 90%. Go ahead and buy from the big guy and when your out on the stream and need something that day and there are no local shps left, just remember you bought it for a $7.50 saving and helped put us out of buisness...

Just my Rant, I'm going through the same thing here...

Posted on: 2009/2/4 7:49

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Now, let me see if I've got this right. You can call up a small flyshop with a list of items that you would like. An employee who is a professional fly tier , maybe even the shop owner, does your shopping for you, picks out all of your items, packages them and ships them out and, provided that you called in your order by 3:00pm, you receive those items on your doorstep the very next day. And this for the outrageous sum of $7.50!!! (did I use enough exclamation points?) And because this service wasn't performed for free, you will never use them again. Makes perfect sense.

Sandfly,
I don't know where your shop is located. However, in early June I head up along Pine Creek and fish Slate/Cedar on my way over to Potter Co. to fish with friends who have a camp there. I would love to make a stop into your shop as part of the trip. I don't know how close you are to those parts. My fishing experiences have been greatly enhanced by the relationships that I have been fortunate enough to develop over the years. Especially those relationships born out of doing business with small local flyshops. I don't know how you guys are able to stay in business, but I certainly hope that you always do.
Cheers, Mike

Posted on: 2009/2/4 9:16
The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

From Duncannon, PA
There is definitely consideration in the premium that a customer pays for the little guy; most of the time it's worth it. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

However, if you shop online at a big box store and get everything together that you want, then go to the little guy and ask for everything at the same price over the phone, what is the point of a premium?

If consultation is included (usually is) then the premium is definitely worth it. No question. However, for an a la carte order, is the premium really worth it?

The micro economic equilibrium will keep itself in check. The more valuable a little guy's premium is, the more able that shop will be to stick around.

Expecting someone who is ordering a la carte to pay more at a small shop is...well...asinine. That's just paying for the sake of buying from a small shop without utilizing any of the benefit.

Again, I speak from experience of small business outside the FF shop world. I swear I'm not talking out of my a$$.

So in response to littlelehigh's original post, I wouldn't pay a premium from somewhere that didn't offer me the service for it either. If I'm going to be treated like an outsider, then I'm just getting ripped off; I'm literally paying to be treated poorly.

Compete. That doesn't always mean in price...if your small shop's expertise and service are great, then nobody will mind paying a premium.

My entrepreneur "mentor" always told me...be great at what you do and you will prosper. It works.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 10:06

From Monessen, PA
My concern about encouraging people to only patronize small shops is that this attitude will put the big box stores out of business and then where will I be able to get bargains when these small shops rake me over the coals?

Posted on: 2009/2/4 10:13

From Duncannon, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
My concern about encouraging people to only patronize small shops is that this attitude will put the big box stores out of business and then where will I be able to get bargains when these small shops rake me over the coals?

LOL! "Walmart doused by mom 'n pop grocers"

Wouldn't the hippies just LOVE that?

Posted on: 2009/2/4 10:16

From Bozeman
Quote:

trouthunting wrote:
Quote:

JackM wrote:

LOL! "Walmart doused by mom 'n pop grocers"

Wouldn't the hippies just LOVE that?

I was called a hippy at the jam last year. I wouldn't love it.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 11:25

trouthunting hit the nail on the head in post #34 and as he suggested I went else where.

I guess what shocked me was everyone raves about there helpfulness and freindly service and that is really more of what I was expecting. I asked about there shipping cost and I told them the amount I was willing to spend and stated it was for all small items and I got a straight $7.50. Not well what are you planning on tying up where do you live nothing to suggest they were interested in my business what so ever. Yes shipping is cheaper than the gas it would cost me to stop by, that's not the point.

I work with customers everyday and the reason they contact me is they are looking for help whether it's a physical item, suggestion, alternative/ equal item etc. I respect this and do what I can to help them out and gain there loyalty. In other words I NEED THEM, they can get help elsewhere. BUT I want them to think of ME when they need help. Just because I do not have face to face discussions does not make them less important. Which is how I felt when I called them. Now I do admit I based my sole opinion off of everyone here who has had excellent face to face contact with them.
Leave the big box retailers out of this I know when I enter any of there stores I am a number not a named face. I prefer to have and continue to gain personal relationships with people, business etc..

I don't know much but I do know small business is based on niche marketing product knowledge, and customer service. I only started this thread to vent frustration and as constructive critism not to offend anyone sorry.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 11:45

From South Central PA
A bit confusing, since your title to this thread is "And here is why I don't buy from the little guy........" yet it seems you dont like the "Big Guys" (big boxes) either.

A quick check of various websites showed the following charges on a 75.00 order:

Cabela's $10.95

Hook and Hackle Co. $8.95

TCO $8.95

Murray's Fly Shop, in VA, $9.95

It is a bit odd that you could have mentioned dozens of shops who would have charged you to ship your order, in most cases more than the $7.50 FFP would charge, and yet for some reason FFP is the only shop you highlight for critique.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 18:00

From Monessen, PA
Here's an example of a small shop that has a thriving business because they learned to compete with big box outfits for mail order business: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/home.php

A section of their shipping policy on mail order business:

Free Shipping – We don’t think you should be charged for shipping and handling. After all, it costs us less to handle mail order transactions than those here in the store. So we pass that savings on to you as long as you don’t mind ground shipping in the continental United States. We do charge our actual cost above the normal ground shipping for expedited service or shipments made to countries outside the continental United States.

Granted, they are a destination shop, but their mail order business helps them keep volume up so they can get some discounting by buying larger lots of products. This seems like a smart adaptation to the way business is done in the 21st Century.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 19:35

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Here's an example of a small shop that has a thriving business because they learned to compete with big box outfits for mail order business: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/home.php

A section of their shipping policy on mail order business:

Free Shipping – We don’t think you should be charged for shipping and handling. After all, it costs us less to handle mail order transactions than those here in the store. So we pass that savings on to you as long as you don’t mind ground shipping in the continental United States. We do charge our actual cost above the normal ground shipping for expedited service or shipments made to countries outside the continental United States.

Granted, they are a destination shop, but their mail order business helps them keep volume up so they can get some discounting by buying larger lots of products. This seems like a smart adaptation to the way business is done in the 21st Century.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. Other than hooks and a few tying tools, there are no other tying supplies available on their online catalog. No mention of a free mailed catalog for tying materials either. I guess one could just call them up and order over the phone, hoping the prices they DON'T advertise wouldn't take the order over the point where you'd still be saving that $7.50 on the shipping. I wouldn't hold my breath. How is the quality of their tying supplies? What if you get the order, and the stuff is poor quality? How many times does someone have to get burned by poor quality to realize that sometimes, you get what you pay for?

Little River Outfitters = an unknown
FFP = known quality - vouched for by lots of folks right here.

I'd rather just pay the $7.50.......

Posted on: 2009/2/4 20:51

by DGC on 2009/2/4 18:00:03

A bit confusing, since your title to this thread is "And here is why I don't buy from the little guy........" yet it seems you dont like the "Big Guys" (big boxes) either.

A quick check of various websites showed the following charges on a 75.00 order:

Cabela's $10.95

Hook and Hackle Co. $8.95

TCO $8.95

Murray's Fly Shop, in VA, $9.95

It is a bit odd that you could have mentioned dozens of shops who would have charged you to ship your order, in most cases more than the $7.50 FFP would charge, and yet for some reason FFP is the only shop you highlight for critique.

Actual if you look back I asked last week where do you shop and received many replies and a few members agreed with my choices I said I was considering including:
Leeland
Sporting Lifestyles
and
Linesend.com
But quite a few also recommended FFP so I gave them a consideration by ordering a catalog. Out of my 3 choices including shipping FFP and Leeland turned out to be the most costly including shipping. (If you look at Leeland's website it's obvious they add alittle "extra" to each item to cover shipping. I did not see most of the sites you referenced about in the original thread.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 23:02

From Monessen, PA
Heritage, I wasn't really holding Little River Outfitters up as an alternative to the tying supplies dilimma. In fact, my initial post on this thread expressed the opinion that $7.50 on a $75.00 order wasn't significant enough to make a difference even to a cheapskate like me. I was merely responding to the prior post about other small shops with similar or higher shipping charges by showing how some shops have tried to gain additional market share by offering free shipping. It may well be the case that all buyers, in-store and mail-order, at LRO pay a slightly higher markup on items in order to subsidize this courtesy for the mail order buyers. On the other hand, there are few things that gripe me more than to be charged $9.95 or $7.50 for Shipping and "handling," then have my product arrive with a metered postage sticker showing $3.30. Even allowing a small fee for the cost of the box, I feel I've been asked to pay a premium for shopping by mail. And yes, this occurs with Orvis and Cabelas, too.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 6:02

Regarding: "why I don't buy from the little guy" One of the best things that has happened to me during my 35 year fly fishing adventure, has been having a fly fishing shop located in Indiana, Pa. The name of the shop is "The Indiana Angler", owned and operated by Woody Banks. For years he has provided excellent service and fishing advice to countless anglers, besides having a well stocked inventory of fly fishing items, everything a guy (or girl) would need. I have also traveled throughout the state and visited numerous other fly shops and most (not all) of those experiences were positive. I have also been in the large chain stores in our area and have been impressed with the volume of equipment and supplies. But ultimately, when it comes right down to first hand experience and on site advice, nothing compares to the help and expertise at the Indiana Angler. Secondly, after doing quality and price comparisons with the large chain stores I find very little cost difference...especially when I can quickly drive to the shop, tryout what I need, get some quick advice and walk out with what I need!!!!
In the early days of my fly fishing, there were no shops close by and this created a number of problems when trying to purchase tying materials or equipment. Today, I can't imagine how inconvenient my shopping would be without the fly shop in Indiana. I know I would be lost without this valuable resource nearby. I think any angler who has a similar situation with a local flyshop, would be foolish not to patronize the local fellow as much as possible. I think the benefits of doing business with the local shop are endless, and I know many of our local anglers would agree with me!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/5 8:56

I went and bought a 5 weight combo yesterday at Cabelas. I am a firm believer that the more expensive the rod doesn't=more fish caught. I think I ended up spending $150 for rod, reel, backing and line. I was looking at the Sages that would've cost me close to three hundred for a combo and possibly was gonna buy one. The man in the shop said for the price difference there isn't a significant difference in performance between the rods.

I have gone to smaller shops and they want to sell you really expensive rods, not saying they all do but the ones I have gone to have.

The point is they all have their place(big stores and little stores). I think the guy at Cabelas is getting an hourly wage and is less a salesman and more apt to give you honest info. on rods that is. With the combo deals at the bigger stores it's just hard to beat the prices.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 11:08

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com