Alder

blueheron

blueheron

I use this one up north, I haven't tied it on in Pa.
Dun- 6 2xl, 2xf, grey biot body, chocolate dun hackle, dyed turkey wing
Nymph- 12 4xl , dubbed body, copper rib,emu legs, partridge collar,
Amazing short hatch.

Attachments

• alderdun.jpg
    alderdun.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 11
  • aldernymph.jpg
    aldernymph.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 6
Nice flys! Ever fish the dun wet?
Mike.

Alright Blue, couple of good looking flies there. Nicely done.

The tent wing style does nicely until the wing is compromised, especially on a larger fly, and then it's a true cripple and rides in the film. When the fish are on this hatch it doesn't matter, this pattern matches the bulk, color and silhouette of the alder where I fish in New Hampshire. I will spray this fly with scotchguard which helps protect the wing and keeps it on top a bit longer. The alder fly's pupal stage occurs out of the water and is not on the fish's radar as the larvae crawl streamside to pupate in soil or debris before emerging as adults. I fish the larvae on the bottom swinging in to shore and the adult close in also as they mate and deposit their eggs on overhanging branches, not directly in the water. The fish get stupid when they see these things and it's a ton of fun.

That sounds like fun!
I knew about the lifecycle and for that reason had wondered about the old Alder wet flys. Apparently, and I can't rember where I read this, the adults do not float well and the wet patterns are taken for drowned adults.

alderflies sink immediately.

they cannot float.

Sinking and immediately are both relative terms. I'm pretty sure if I threw gfen in he would not sink immediately. They are clumsy fliers but are taken on the surface, in the film and underneath.

Incorrect on both counts.

Since I never said the adults float, I'm not sure why it keeps being repeated, apparently for my benefit. I simply posted an example of a fly that I tie and use as I choose, and catch fish with, based on my experiences, not someone's web page. They do not sink like a stone, they sink with style, and I've found I can cover more water with a floating imitation. I get no joy from debating, especially about something as personal to me as fly tying and fishing, I'll just leave it at that.

Nice ties BH. I'd fish 'em on top even if the real ones sink... that fly is too pretty to drown (and I hate fishing underneath anyway!)

David wrote:
Nice ties BH. I'd fish 'em on top even if the real ones sink... that fly is too pretty to drown (and I hate fishing underneath anyway!)
Can't argue with that! If they work, they work, and it is a nice fly.
I didn't mean to start a debate, I was just curious about the old patterns and never had a chance to fish these flys myself. Sorry it got out of hand.
Mike.

I've never seen an Alder Fly in PA, but if I were a betting man I'd say there are some in the Poconos.

2 years ago I was fishing the upper falls on the Bushkill, Ressica Falls. There where Alder flies everywhere. I did not have anything to imitate them with. Also I did not see anything taking them. Is that typical?

gencon

A henryville Special would be good.

GenCon wrote:
Also I did not see anything taking them. Is that typical?

Yes, because they sink. Do you see what I did there?

Alderfly_Wet.jpg

There's a nearly 200 year old pattern for you called, logically enough, "the alder."

edit:
Enjoy Dave Hughes' story.

Back