Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Action Caddis/Performing a Dubbing Whip-Finish

From Delaware River
No, honestly guys. Utah kindly taught me that gem. Not sure If he developed it himself, but it is genius. Thanks johnny for sharing it with me to share it with everyone else.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 8:52

From Delaware River
Oh, and we are friends lol.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 8:53

From pennsylvania
That technique may be new to you, but it isn't new. It has been around for years - ever since beadheads became popular - well, at least that is where I saw it first, probably been around longer than that. I certainly don't claim it, as I saw it during a demo more than 15 years ago to finish the thorax behind the bead.
What is old is new again...

Posted on: 2011/11/24 12:44

From Souderton PA
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
That technique may be new to you, but it isn't new. It has been around for years - ever since beadheads became popular - well, at least that is where I saw it first, probably been around longer than that. I certainly don't claim it, as I saw it during a demo more than 15 years ago to finish the thorax behind the bead.
What is old is new again...

Yes, I have also seen it used on beadheads before. I never thought it was worth the trouble because the fish is already ignoring the fact that the nymph has his head stuck in a brass ball with a metal loop sticking out of it connected to a knot of mono. On non-beaded flys, I just expect them to have a bit of a thread head. I also have to wonder about the durability of a fly tied with a dubbing whip since the thread will not cinch down as tightly and you can't wax or cement the head. I'm not trying to be critical of Gaeron. The video shows some good solid techniques. I'm just not sure that this particular technique is a good one to use routinely.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 15:40

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I did not plan to use this technique, because I doubt it really mattered to the fish. The point you raise FFj about the knot not fully clinching down is a good one, and adds to the reason not to use it. imo

Posted on: 2011/11/24 16:54

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From The great north east
Gentlemen. I do know Gaeron, and i was kidding with with him. In no way do i claim to have come up with that technique.

I have done it on bead head flies. The true trick to the knot holding, is to dub extremely sparse and tight. When done this way it will hold for a lot of fish.... And I do agree that the fish dont care.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Johnny Utah

Posted on: 2011/11/24 17:02

From SEPA
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:

you think

Posted on: 2011/11/25 3:07

From Delaware River
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:

you think

Lol, he is my friend. Whether or not I am his friend, well, that's when it gets iffy.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 9:45

From Berks County
gaeron, I notice your quick-clip has a small metal rod coming out of the front. Did you buy it like that, or did you make it?

Posted on: 2011/11/25 11:55

From Delaware River
Quote:

zenherper wrote:
gaeron, I notice your quick-clip has a small metal rod coming out of the front. Did you buy it like that, or did you make it?

Zen, I don't quite know what you mean?

Posted on: 2011/11/25 12:46

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

zenherper wrote:

Zen - Wiss snips don't come with a bodkin sticking out the front. Some guys here just added it. There WAS a version that did come with the bodkin attached...

The original version was sold by A.K. Best back in the day. Here's an original - these actually belonged to A.K.Best. He gave them to me over a decade ago. I used them until they got dull, and then tried to replace the tips - didn't work well after I replaced them, as the screws wouldn't tighten enough to align the shears. I broke the finger loop at some point, and replaced it with a piece of brass rod.

A.K. likes to tie with his S&M bobbin held in his fingertips for thread control. This allows him to hold the bulky snips in that hand also. Using a regular style bobbin with those snips in your hand is, well, a handful.

The bodkin built in to the snips comes in handy for hand whip finishing (inserted in the loop as you draw the knot tight). It's personal preference, but there's much better options for scissors and snips available now, IMO.

H.A.

Attach file:

jpg  Wiss snips.jpg (976.17 KB)
72_4ecfd567b4143.jpg 1642X1231 px

Posted on: 2011/11/25 12:51

From Berks County
H.A. - Thank you. The bodkin was what I was referring to. I'm still learning all the lingo. I have the Wiss snips, and thought that the bodkin built in looked handy for the hand whip finish.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 18:58

From The great north east
It also comes in handy for many other things.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 19:21

From Delaware River
Such as...Picking out dubbing, applying head cement, cleaning out eyes, removing hooks from the vice if they are wet (etc.), whip finishing, punch holes through turkey tails to measure out wingcases/thorax cases, flatten out material, etc. Not trying to sell it to anyone, but I love the wiss thread snips with the bodkin, sharp and cheap :)

Posted on: 2011/11/25 19:32

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Here's an original - these actually belonged to A.K.Best. He gave them to me over a decade ago.

Bragging.

Quote:
I used them until they got dull, and then tried to replace the tips - didn't work well after I replaced them, as the screws wouldn't tighten enough to align the shears.

H.A.

Damn Ed, just use some naval jelly to get the rust off and you are good to go!

Posted on: 2011/11/25 19:50

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com