Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: A question about fly dubbing

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

And while I'm at it, when tying light colored flies like the Sulphers or Lt Cahills, any of ya paint the hook shank white so's it don't git ta looking darker when it gits wet?

Yup - use Wite-Out correction fluid. Does it matter? Dunno. But it does let me know when a certain blonde girl is using my computer - gotta wipe the Wite-Out off the monitor!

Posted on: 2007/4/18 21:28

From York
Not only can you get disease from licking your fingers while tying, you can build up toxins also. A lot of the commercial fly tying materials are treated in some pretty nasty chemicals. My hands don't go anywhere near my face when tying, and I wash immediately after finishing tying.
I do enough crap that'll kill me, I don't want my favorite past time to accelerate anything.
JP

Posted on: 2007/4/18 22:22

Quote:

Festus wrote:
Dubbin that absorbs floatant.....will it float better 'n a dubbin that sheds water or not? Same thing with webby feathers that absorb floatant.....better or not?

And while I'm at it, when tying light colored flies like the Sulphers or Lt Cahills, any of ya paint the hook shank white so's it don't git ta looking darker when it gits wet?

Hmmm, since HYDROPHOBIC, (as in Kreinik) mean repels WATER; I don't think floatant is effected in the same way but I ain't a chemist. Besides I'm kinda hooked on Frog Fanny which is totally different but I would THINK if a material absorbs a liquid floatant it would become MORE waterproof than something that doesn't.

As far as painting my hooks; since 98% of my Sulphur fishing is done at dusk or dark; if the fish can notice that difference; I quit.

I use the bat test; if a bat picks up my fly I figure it's good enough for trout.

Posted on: 2007/4/18 23:16

From Greensburg, PA
I was fishing a local lake yesterday and those darn swallows kept picking up my fly and then dropping it. Must have happened 20 times or more.

Posted on: 2007/4/19 8:39

From Southeast PA
Quote:

Bamboozle wrote:
I use the bat test; if a bat picks up my fly I figure it's good enough for trout.

Until trout start "seeing" with radar (sonar?) I don't think that test holds water!

I would think that a few layers of light colored thread usually covers up the hook enough, especially on the larger and bulkier flys. But it's easy enough to tell by soaking the fly and checking whether it's the right color. I never really noticed it before, but I haven't been looking for it.

Posted on: 2007/4/19 10:58

Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
Until trout start "seeing" with radar (sonar?) I don't think that test holds water!

Maybe the "swallow test" would be better...

..."here birdy, birdy".

Posted on: 2007/4/19 12:30

From Philadelphia
Bamboozle & Festus,
Thanks very much for the Kreninik tip. I got some and ...wow!...I can't believe how easy it is to dub 18-22 dries and larva. My zebra pattern never looked so good.

Thanks again.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/4/23 17:49

Coughlin:

I thanks Fetus too for recommending the Traditional Angler. If that's where you got your Kreninik I hope there was some left after I placed my order.

Now that you like the stuff; I would suggest that you stock-up from the above mentioned source since you won't see the stuff in many fly shops; especially at that price.

BTW take Festus' advice and if you're not already using a tacky wax; try some of the Rumpf stuff. I have almost of full tube of Overton's and when I use it with the Kreninik; I can do 32's with no problem.

Happy tying!

Posted on: 2007/4/24 23:30

From Philadelphia
Bamboozle,
I think you must have pretty much wiped them out , as I couldn't get a number of colors. Still, got a nice har'es ear, dun, gray and olive. I can always color the gray.

BTW, hats off to you tackling #32. If I need to go to anything smaller than 24, it's Miller time!
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/4/25 12:24

Quote:

Coughlin wrote:
BTW, hats off to you tackling #32. If I need to go to anything smaller than 24, it's Miller time!
Coughlin

Heck it's ALWAYS Miller time, or Yuengling time when I'm fishing; even when I'm fishing size 6's!

Posted on: 2007/4/25 12:51

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
if you cant get the silk which will absorb water in time i have polypropelene dubbing that floats forever and can tie 32's with no wax...

Posted on: 2007/4/26 7:10

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Pa
Poly leaves a carbon imprint. Silk don't. Ain't you seen Al Gores movie yet? We must all be good little Greenies from now on.

Posted on: 2007/4/26 17:59

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heck it's ALWAYS Miller time, or Yuengling time when I'm fishing; even when I'm fishing size 6's!

Bamboozle...Yuengling is the brew
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/4/26 20:05

From Pa
We gotta get you straightened away there Mr Coughlin. Straubs is the brew of choice for us woodhicks.

Posted on: 2007/4/26 20:54

From Philadelphia
Festus,
Wouldn't think of drinking anything else after a day on Long Run.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/4/29 16:59

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
85 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com