Image00050.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6
  • Image00051.jpg
    Image00051.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Image00052.jpg
    Image00052.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 6
Nice ties Sandfly. I really like the effect you are getting with that body material.
Mike.

Nice ties. I like the last one the best. What is the body material? I like the way it blends the body colors.

very nice indeed.

Do you crimp you barbs??

Always, either before i put them in a box or on stream...

Ok good, I want to stop ANYONE who catches and releases from using barbs, there is no reason to use them.

InTheMend wrote:
Ok good, I want to stop ANYONE who catches and releases from using barbs, there is no reason to use them.

It was only a myth (for the elitists fly A-holes) A barb has no effect at all on a trout!

If you get a small hook in your hand, you can pull it out with the string method and have no effect at all! Trout don't have feelings in their mouth...... they eat things that bite them all the time.

Some say that a jumping trout will toss a barbless hook? It doesn't hurt the fish at all, so ....... you only smash the barbs to make yourself feel better?

I used to smash barbs, but it really makes no difference at all ..... so I don't smash anymore. Most trout streams took the "barbless" thing off the regs sign.

1wt wrote:
InTheMend wrote:

It was only a myth (for the elitists fly A-holes) A barb has no effect at all on a trout!

If you get a small hook in your hand, you can pull it out with the string method and have no effect at all! Trout don't have feelings in their mouth...... they eat things that bite them all the time.

Some say that a jumping trout will toss a barbless hook? It doesn't hurt the fish at all, so ....... you only smash the barbs to make yourself feel better?

I used to smash barbs, but it really makes no difference at all ..... so I don't smash anymore. Most trout streams took the "barbless" thing off the regs sign.
Afraid I have to disagree with this. If anything, there is no reason to leave a barb on the hook. While it may be a valid claim that barbs have little to no effect on fish mortality, claiming they have no effect at all on the trout is incorrect. I suppose if you only fish say a size 16 or smaller hook, the barb is less relevant. But I've seen fish with damaged/missing lip plates that are no doubt the result of catch and release using barbed hooks.
See A case for barbless hooks by Dave Lewis for some sample pics of barb damage to trout.

PS: Sorry for the thread hijack

I have injured too many trout to leave the barb on any hook. A myth? why don't you stick to the political discussions instead of putting your foot in your mouth.

Sandfly, nice looking ties. Also they look like they are fun to do.

Great job,

Gencon

In addition to helping trout, barbless hooks certainly help when you get a hook stuck in your clothing, or God forbid your body.

BTW, when I take kids fishing regardless of the tackle I crimp the barbs.

Awesome flies!!

dumb question: Do you use softex over the body to perserve it? The reason I ask a few years ago I was told at a show that using body material like that wrapped around would or could dry rot if I didn't use something such as softex over the body to keep it from rotting. I did use it for a while but quit, I use my flies up way too fast to worry if they are going to rot or not. I only use it now if I want to have a build up over the body!

These are coated with solareze uv. on drie I don't use anything since this material is waterproof.

Back