A few HEAVY anchor flies

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Tied up these HEAVY anchor flies. They should definetly help me keep my nymphs low. I am not quite happy with the size 10's and think the bodies are too short and the eyes are a bit large. I think the size 8 are about as good as I can get them.

The bodies are wrapped with .2 lead wire, and the throax is double wrapped. I attached the dumbell eyes as well. I will be out one of the mornings this weekend, and will let you know how they perform.

I will soon be getting in my tungsten. These were tied with dubbing from the squirrel dubbing box. It is not as buggy as a natural grey squirrel but I am very happy with the "buggyness" and flash of the bodies. The ribbing on these is brown vinyl rib.

I think they will perform well.

Attachments

• 2013-04-02_09-57-27_209.jpg
    2013-04-02_09-57-27_209.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 12
  • 2013-04-02_09-57-35_678.jpg
    2013-04-02_09-57-35_678.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 3
I fish a little but ridiculously heavy anchor pattern I call my K.I.S.S. Pupa. I was thinking about making a post about it and now I think I am. It uses four materials and is very quick and easy to tie. I usually tie them on size 14-12. I use a tungsten beed, as large as I can get away with. I then coat the entire shank in .015 lead, and make about five wraps of .020 over the .015 up near the bead. The best part is I actually catch half of my fish on it. It is usually a dead split as far as effectiveness between the Pupa anchor and whatever I am using as a dropper. Although, sometimes the dropper does catch more, the Pupa is still VERY effective, you should try it. Let me know if you want the recipe and instructions...

Looking forward to seeing the post. I began to increase my fly weight because the other day i had no anchors and had my bait fishing stuff to try out a barrel swivel instead of tippet ring. long story, short, i liked the extra weight and being more connected to the stream bed, so these big uglies were the result. Your pupa patern sounds as though it would sink very quickly

Probably overkill. But, whatever.

IMO- way too big. Looks like they'd work for bass more than trout. If you really want to get a good anchor pattern, do czechs or smaller nymphs with lead tape wrapped bodies and tungsten beads.

Also, tungsten teardrops are something I started using recently.
http://www.performanceflies.com/category-s/302.htm
They rock as anchors, especially if you bead head them.

I was just looking at those tungsten teardrops the other day and was going to talk to Kevin about them, but since I've got you. What sizes have you tried so far are they a pita to get on the hook, and if you don't mind what style hooks have you gotten them on. Thanks.

Here is a pattern used as a heavy anchor fly by the Euro/Comp guys. The Vladi worm gets you down and rides hook point up to fish the deep/fast stretches of rivers and streams.

Thanks A fish. Now i just need to source the Pink contraceptive. ;)

This is the original material for the Vladi worm.

You get six Vladi worms out of each one, so you don't need too many, unless....... nevermind. :lol:

Kevin at performance flies has what is labeled as the original material for that worm

They look great!! I don't think they are even close to being too big. It's always good to show them something large, even if it doesn't "match the hatch." Trout can fit some pretty large food items down there gullet.

I use Dohiku nymph hooks for the teardrops, but they'll work on a barbed hook as well.

The crown pink condoms are actually available through Kevin's website! I bought some from him in his clearance bin at Somerset. They are definitely the perfect color of pink for the pattern.

lol and people thought fly tying humor to be dry ;)

I just got my tungsen beads in today, and you guys weren't lying when you had said they were 40% heavier. I cant wait to tie up some smaller stones.

So do they only work on female trout?

I have a few anchor flies that are also that heavy. Haven't used them since the year we had all that rain. I use alot of tungsten. That really get down. Most of the time a size 10 jig with a 3.5 bead and some wraps of. 25 lead is all that is needed in the dep holes. Dropping tippet size also helps.

If i tie and use anchor flies I'll tie em hook point up...

Great point sandfly, I overlooked that idea, Thanks!

Back