2010 Fly Swap

Bruno

Bruno

2010 PAFF Fly Swap. – Deadline for signups Jan 31st, 2010. A warm water theme has been suggested and I say we run with it. Once signups are complete I will inform everyone the total number of flies they are to tie. Below are the general guidelines used for the swap.
==================================

A) The total number of participants is (To be determined ). So everyone should tie and receive (To be determined ). Also, optional extra flies may be tied for Dave Kile. Dave runs the PAFF site . I have hosted a couple of these before and I have sent flies to Dave and here really enjoys them. I encourage all of you to tie one extra for him.

B) The deadline for sending flies is March 12th 2010. Please try to be mindful of this date. The anticipation of seeing all the creations is high and late tyers cause stress. If you experience difficulties, please contact me at my email address. A short delay isn't so bad if everyone is informed. I expect to ship all packages before March 19th , unless there's an unforeseen delay that everyone can live with.

C) Please send me an email if you wish to participate. Mattyb15601@yahoo.com

D) Flies will be returned in the containers they were mailed in, if possible. Please write your name on your fly box- If you don’t I will. Keep in mind that the other flies may be larger than yours, so make your container large enough to handle that possibility. ( think large streamers) Please include a stamped return envelope. ( I have had people forget this in the past and it ended up costing me a couple of bucks to send them back) Whatever it costs to mail to me, it will cost me at least that to return, so match the postage. To the guys that are doing this for the first time- do not send them in an expensive fly box. I have had flies get lost in the mail in the past. I will email or PM you my mailing address when signups are complete.

E) It is nice to provide the other tyers with the fly pattern recipe, instructions, etc. At a bare minimum, provide the materials list for each part (e.g.: Hook: #14; Thread: brown; Tail: Medium Dun Hackle; etc...); preferably, give the recipe, step-by-step instructions, and a short explanation of the use of the fly; it's history, if you want, etc. If possible, e- mail the instructions/ Pictures to me so I can cut and paste them and send them out to everyone when the flies go out.

F) Please email me when you have mailed your flies so I can look for them in the mail. I will email you back that they have arrived safely

G) I will email you when I have mailed the flies back.

e-mail sent!

Any word on how many participants? I have started tying since I am new, and SLOW.

According the rules Bruno posted the deadline for sign ups still has 11 days...Just keep tying and put the extras in your own box.

15 so far maybe a couple on the fence.

I'm gonna sit this one out. I just started my spring tying and have a ways to go on a limited budget.

17 people to date.

redrockgrizzly
jerseygeorge
skiltonian
osprey
David
Goodfortune
shipnfish2006
MidasMulligan
Millertime
Fredrick
Flipinfly
salvelinusfontinalis
BelAirSteve
flyfishermanj
FrequentTyer
RCHILDS
Bruno

I am out Bruno. Thanks for arranging though. I am in the same boat as JayL.

While I like the idea of a warm water swap - I'm sitting this one out too (will participate in the JAM live swap).

Thanks for heading this up Bruno.

A quick poll for those involved in the swap... I'm deciding what hook to tie on. How many of you fish salt or for pike / musky? I'm going to make a big steeler popper and can tie it on a mustad 2/0 stainless (which makes it a little heavier to cast, but sits lower in the water so it gurgles nicely and is ok in saltwater) or a Teimco wide gap #2 bass bug hook (which is lighter to cast and has a big gap for better hooking, but cannot hold a big musky and would rust quickly in salt). Let me know what your thoughts are...

Daves poppers are the bomb ! Reason enough righ there to be in the swap. He ties a very nice popper.

I can / will use what ever flies I get - here's something for thought, mabe we should gear the flies to a certain weight rod. Thats how I was thinking...originally I was thinking flies that a 5wt could handle to be versitile enough for everyone but based on David's inquiry, now I'm thinking at least a 7wt. I guess another thing to come to an agreement on is fresh or saltwater (in that I guess WW coud mean both). I fish it and tie it all - so I'm up for anything.

Let Warm Water be your only guide.

OK, I will try this a second time. My last post "vaporized" :-D

I was searching for something different to tie and found a fly called the Grand River Bleeding Minnow. This was featured in an article in Eastern Fly Fishing (Jan 2009 issue). The article was on the Grand River in Ohio.

It is a clouser type of fly tied with Marabou and is predominantly chartreuse. It is not a large fly, and would fish well with a 5 wt.

What do you think? Sounds like we have a lot of tying to do, I need to get to work!

JG

bleedingminnow.jpg

I like it, JG! I tied these up, but think I might do something a little more involve (articulated streamer or something fancy)

Attachments

• SDC10776.JPG
    SDC10776.JPG
    608.3 KB · Views: 0
This what I will be tying this year, Tying the Gurgler. Thinking of the black varity, unless someone has a preference for their home waters.

JH

Nice ties! I have to catch up!

JG

So do I lol. I havent even started :-o

Back