1st fly tying class

Stimey

Stimey

Had my first fly tying class this week, and wow do I suck. But I excited to learn and try to get better. It has probably been discussed here before but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places to get good deals on materials (thread, beads, hooks, etc.)

Thanks

I wouldn't skimp on materials, tools or thread.

Hooks you can get good deals from Allen Fly fishing, or buy in smaller packs.
Mustad hooks are a decent price too.

Hooks, beads and hackle are what cost the most in fly tying (as far as expendable items).

If you buy materials for flies you use and just those materials each fly will cost you between 5 cents and a 35 cents roughly.

If you don't mind internet ordering, my favorite place for materials is J. Stockard fly fishing (www.jsflyfishing.com). They have excellent prices, an excellent line of generic hooks and tools, affordable shipping (no more than $5), and they have a rewards program that will give you $5 off your first order, and for every $25 you spend, you get a dollar off the next order.

Stimey wrote:
Had my first fly tying class this week

Were you one of the newbies with George last night?

The handout with the shops is about as good as it gets. I can directly attest to the extent of both TCO Reading and Cabela's supplies, and could be pretty happy with both of them being not too far away.

As class goes on, you'll learn how to look for the indentifying marks of decent grade stuff, too. When he introduces a new pattern, you'll learn abotu what goes into it.

Ya I was in his class, and will probably try AA and TCO as that's where I get most of my fishing gear, and like to give them business, but if there was a cheep internet supplier would also consider.

Stimey wrote:
Ya I was in his class, and will probably try AA and TCO as that's where I get most of my fishing gear, and like to give them business, but if there was a cheep internet supplier would also consider.

No one is going to be cheaper on basics right now than Cabelas. 30% off tying stuff. Chenille, marabou, lead, glo bug yarn, estaz, thread, tinsel, yarn, dubbing, wax, etc pretty much everything except hackle (get someone knowledgeable to go with you to buy your hackle). Actually some of the Whiting stuff at Cabelas @ 30% off may be a good value as well. They said online that discount did not apply to hooks, however hooks appear to be discounted online. For hooks I would hit TCO Reading and buy their store brand. They are good hooks (probably same thing as Allen), are a good price and I think they have a buy 2 get 1 free on top of that. Or something.

Stimey wrote:

My suspicions are you were the guy in the suit.

My suspicions are that you were the one in the rabbit hat and spiked jacket.

Small world. I was at the class too. Taking it with my stepdad. Gfen, were you the guy with the tats?

dubthethorax wrote:
Small world. I was at the class too. Taking it with my stepdad. Gfen, were you the guy with the tats?

One of the returning champions, yes.

I thought so. The misfits avatar tipped me off.

Next time I make it down, introduce yourself. Same for Stimey.

since you are just starting out visit a local shop, they will help you out. i buy all materials except hooks and beads from the local shop.
The discounts on these are just too great on-line. biggest reason is local shops only carry beads in 10-25 ct size and most hooks in the 25 ct size. if they sold the 100 ct tungsten beads and 100 ct hooks, the price difference wouldn't be so great.

IDK if they do this all over, but some shops that offer fly tying courses allow those enrolled to purchase materials at a discount while they are taking the course.

It would be great to get a discount, but unfortunately LL Bean's tying supplies consist of Zap-A-Gap, some size 6 dry hooks, and 3/0 Uni thread in red. :)

They are giving the class and supplying the materials for free, which is awesome. I highly doubt they would be offering up anything else.

Craft stores for beads and other stuff. If you do a lot of tying, buy your feathers in bulk by the pound or by the yard (strung rooster hackle, etc). I buy mallard, turkey, pheasant, duck quills and other odd feathers in bulk. Much less expensive and you can sell what you don't use on Ebay.

Craft stores for beads and other stuff. If you do a lot of tying, buy your feathers in bulk by the pound or by the yard (strung rooster hackle, etc). I buy mallard, turkey, pheasant, duck quills and other odd feathers in bulk. Much less expensive and you can sell what you don't use on Ebay.

hook & hackle a great PA store

great online deals..

Theflyshop.com gets you $2.00 off on a box of 100 of their TMC knockoffs. Other than that it is hard to find fly tying stuff at discount pricing. Fly shops can hardly discount the stuff and still make a profit. Give your local shops a break and buy some stuff from them especially if you are going there to pick their brains about tying tips.

IMO hooks and high quality genetic necks and saddles are the most expensive items in fly tying. Consider splitting the cost of a Hoffman, or other, saddle with a buddy. Every year , before I built up my stash, the only reason I would drive 200 miles to the fly show in Somerset was to hand pick full #1 and #2 grade saddles at the show. Then I'd turn them over so the feathers were face down and carefully cut them in half with a razor blade.

We have every color we will ever want and enough high quality #14 - #22 dry fly hackles to last the rest of my life. Remember a high end saddle feather is easily 6" - 8" long and each feather will tie 6 - 10 flies depending on how many turns you make.

My first lesson was with Eric Stroup...that was pretty fun. Here is a good website for hooks just as cheap as allenflyfishing.com but better quality: http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640&pg=3
Also for beads and stuff you can go here: http://www.fishegear.com/servlet/StoreFront

Back