Young Womans Creek

PaCowboy

PaCowboy

I will be on a weekend retreat with the guys from church and I may be getting the opportunity to fish the special regs area of Young Womans Creek the weekend of the 28th. I was wondering what you guys recommended for flies and sizes. I've never had the chance to check this creek out so any information about the creek would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Probably blue quills and maybe hendricksons, but in nymphs not dries. Stone flies should be hatching though. If the water is off color, try steamers.

a question - interesting name, is there a Legend behind the creeks name ?

geebee wrote:

is there a Legend behind the creeks name ?
My 1st thought as well.

geebee wrote:
a question - interesting name, is there a Legend behind the creeks name ?

The Legend, as relayed by Henry Shoemaker. I just picked up a reprint copy of this book, Black Forest Souvenirs, off of Ebay. It may be more fiction than fact, but it is an interesting read nonetheless, plus it has a few William T. Clarke logging photos in it.

Thanks for sharing! Fact or fiction that was an interesting read.

Yeah, My wife overheard my phone conversation with my buddy, "On our way up to Kettle creek we should hit Young Womens"

Something about a Native American running from captors and drowning while trying to escape.

Hi Thank you very much for posting this.

Since my last name is Wolford this story has perked my interest so I will need to break out the old family history documents I received from my aunt.

Thanks again!

BTW: Is this book still in print? I would like to get a copy.

forksfishing,

It would be very interesting to hear what your family history accounts say about this.

You can surely get the Shoemaker book through your local library. They can do an inter-library loan, which is free.

Just be aware that Shoemaker was very well known to "stretch" things. I think he blurred the lines between facts, fables, fantasy, and fiction quite a lot.

great story. two lovers re-united huh ?

There are copies available at the book dealers, but it is out of print.
Hmm! there were Berry's on my Grandmothers side of the family.

That was good reading but the previous story was even more. I scrolled up and the word 'trout" caught my attention. I then read this amasing tale of why the Senecas don't eat trout.

laszlo wrote:
That was good reading but the previous story was even more. I scrolled up and the word 'trout" caught my attention. I then read this amasing tale of why the Senecas don't eat trout.

The original was published in 1914. There is a 1991 reprint, which is the version I have. There is also a version that Penn State University Press lists, although I don't know the reprint date of that.

I read the trout story a few weeks ago; interesting read.

And there's a reason that Henry Shoemaker is best known as a folklorist, and not a historian. The blurb from the PSU Press website says:

Traversing the line between fact and fiction, Black Forest Souvenirs reveals a pristine landscape preserved in the minds of its people.

There's probably a bit of truth that gets passed down in stories, but like fishing stories, they tend to get embellished when they are whispered down the lane. But I'm not reading them as primary source material; rather, they are entertaining light reading, with a historical touch.

Back