Youghiogheny River - New Fish population Study

F

Fishidiot

The recent PFBC fish survey for the Yough from last year is now up on the website. The short version is that fingerling rainbow and brown trout are doing well in the popular reg water but further down river (below the falls) not so well, apparently. The survey is incomplete and more studies will be conducted further downriver. The size of this river also makes electrofishing less effective.
The good news, at least for bass guys, is that SMB numbers are way up in the sections surveyed. Bass are slow growing in the Yough, but are there in much better numbers and in good sizes.

Yough Survey

Thanks for sharing Dave. Things seem to be looking up for the Yough (other than the didymo). Myself and a couple other board members have our own survey of section 3 planned for next Saturday. We'll post a report.

I cant deny, every rainbow I see from that river just seems to be an emaculate specimen.

Don't the numbers of trout found in the surveys seem extremely low?

It's fairly accurate based on my experience yesterday just above Ramcat...

Numbers below the falls seem accurate. Very low. I encourage everyone to never fish there.. :)

Troutbert,

I don't think electro-shocking works as well on big water like the Yough. On section 2 for example it's nothing to observe 20-30 rising fish in easy eyesight of a wading angler on a warm summer evening, so I'm sure the electro-shocking numbers don't accurately reflect the population. On the other hand, it is a fair comparison to look at the shocking results of one year compared to another. The time trends look good in nearly all of the plots.

albatross wrote:
Troutbert,

I don't think electro-shocking works as well on big water like the Yough. On section 2 for example it's nothing to observe 20-30 rising fish in easy eyesight of a wading angler on a warm summer evening, so I'm sure the electro-shocking numbers don't accurately reflect the population. On the other hand, it is a fair comparison to look at the shocking results of one year compared to another. The time trends look good in nearly all of the plots.

Agree. It's data for comparison with past surveys.

Fishidiot wrote:
albatross wrote:
Troutbert,

Agree. It's data for comparison with past surveys.

But look at the numbers of smallmouth they found. The electrofishing techniques were efficient enough to turn up quite a lot of smallmouth.

From the PDF...

Few rainbow trout were captured in Section 02 in both 1994 (1 trout) and 2012 (4 trout). Gear and habitat limitations restrict the areas that can be effectively surveyed in Section 02. The best habitat in the pool that was sampled was generally on the Casselman River side, where water temperatures were not suitable for trout. Only a portion of the shallow but colder water on the Yough tailrace side of the pool was able to be sampled using our electrofishing raft.[.quote]

So the answer is they surveyed the smallie water in Section 2 and only a little /shallow trout water.

That elctrofishing raft looks like some insane torture device...

Thanks Dave,
Considering the technique, location and date of the study, I can understand why trout numbers seemed low. Looks like it is sustaining a fishable population of trout and bass -- what a surprise to me that was. I had know idea the population of smallies was so high, especially in Section 2. My fishing tactics may change come July this year!

I am interested to see what the results are of the next section to be surveyed--indian creek and below I think. I too was surprised by the amount of smallmouth in the upper stretches. I would have expected to see their numbers relatively low and increase as you got below the falls. I do hope they continue to stock fingerlings below the falls down to connellsville. My only con against stocking fingerlings down that way is the predation that occurs. Lots of big smallies and walleye that love trout fingerlings im sure. Might be better to float stock 7"+ fish to get them off the average smallmouth/walleye's menu.

Can someone explain to me why trout are unable to successfully spawn in the yough? I realize most of the large boulder/rocky habitat isnt suitable for making redds, but still, I know of many areas that are sandy/pea gravel that would be suitable. Just curious what the limiting factor is, because I know its not water quality/temp.

I fish the yough CW fishery for smallmouth and trout 50:50, so I really like the trend that river is on right now. I dont want to see the trout program lose steam and diminish because of the low numbers from the survey.

If they had done the survey in spring and fall, I'm sure the results would have been different.
I know for a fact that the water temp in section 4 was up near 80 degrees for a lot of the summer. And why no trout turned up there.
As for the upper sections, they probably just didn't survey the right areas. The yough is quirky that way. Just like fishing it - you have to look in the right spots

+1 on the Indian creek down to connellsville section, I love the fast runs only accessible by kayak or canoe in that section.

Nice day on section 3. There are a few trout of good size, but no smallmouths...

P3160017.jpg

P3160002.jpg

P3160007.jpg

By our scientific survey, the PAFC's study was highly overestimated (my guess is to sell more lisences!)

Attachments

• 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 6
Nice job fella's! Looks like you had good flow and the fish cooperated. Any bugs? 9wt Fenwicks and streamers? That river is a tough nut to crack.

We saw no bugs except a handful of scattered caddis. A shoreline spin fisher told us there had been a good pod of rising fish earlier, but we missed them. I think all our fish came by chucking big meat.

My brown took a Bighorn Candy-Man.
http://www.theflystop.com/store.cfm?page=products_detail&pid=1826&shirts/stickers

Named after the Roy Orbison song, or Sammy Davis?

Jealous as all get-out!

Back