Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Yough/Meadow Run/Laurel Hill in OCT

From State College
I fished the DHALO section of Indian Creek at least 3 times a week this summer as I worked .5 mile up the road. I seem to be in the minority, but I like the section a good bit

Posted on: 2013/10/7 11:23

From Pgh
Quote:

foxfire wrote:
I didn't know there were brownies in Indian Creek?!?!?!?

In fact, the last time I was there about two weeks ago I caught a fat brownie that was proabaly a holdover. Over the years, I've caught brownies, rainbows, stocked brookies and even natives. And like I said before I don't fish it that often and when I do, I rarely stay for more than an hour.

SOME SCATTERED THOUGHTS ABOUT INDIAN:
I do remember more insects years ago. One of the best days I had was many years ago fishing March Browns in early May.

It is very tight, brushy, and silted in places, with plenty of barren stretches. But if you know where you are going, you can certainly jump from spot to spot and consistently catch fish. But fly fishing is always a challenge.

With the exception of the pool at the bridge, I rarely see rising fish in that stream.

It tends to remain relatively cool at certain stretches...
where Camp Run comes in for example.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 11:08

There were two different reports of 20 inch brownies. On a modest sized freestone stream.

20 inch browns. Big logjams. Coincidence? Probably not.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 11:40

From Monessen, PA
While it may not be a coincidence, I put the chances of those fish having been stocked at that size or a little lower as great as any chance the stream and logjams grew them to that size. Still, it's a nice enough stream, but one I rarely choose over others nearby.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 11:42

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Just upstream of the DH on Indian is a long stretch of private water with jack dams, benches, and a stream-side path. I can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head. I'd be willing to wager that the private water is the source of some of the big fish caught in the DH.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 12:12

From Lilly, PA
I agree that the Delayed Harvest area on Indian is a mess. I never fished it, but I did walk a good bit of it. A lot of brush and the bottom is silty in many places. There are much nicer areas on Indian, like down below Melcroft, that dont get stocked. I am not sure why though. There seems to be a nice amount of hatches there. This spring I saw a great Grannom hatch and not a single trout rising after them.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 20:53

From State College
Quote:
Albatross wrote:
Just upstream of the DH on Indian is a long stretch of private water with jack dams, benches, and a stream-side path. I can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head. I'd be willing to wager that the private water is the source of some of the big fish caught in the DH.

That would be Indian creek farms, they do stock it heavy.

Also, Pike Run is stocked heavily with good size fish by the country club twice a year, once at the opening day and once at the Fourth of July. Its a small stream and flows get pretty low in the summer.

found this gem at the DHALO on Indian this summer

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/10/8 22:07

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com