Wild Trout stream Map info

wrighter00

wrighter00

Does anyone know if this map that circulated a while back is still worthwhile? (link below) Or does anyone know who gathered the information that it's based on or when it was gathered? I've visited some of the streams marked and it seems hit or miss. Sometimes I find trout and sometimes all I find are chubs. Maybe it's just my area. Any info would help.

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=980

wrighter00 wrote:
Does anyone know if this map that circulated a while back is still worthwhile? (link below) Or does anyone know who gathered the information that it's based on or when it was gathered? I've visited some of the streams marked and it seems hit or miss. Sometimes I find trout and sometimes all I find are chubs. Maybe it's just my area. Any info would help.

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=980

Wrighter,

Definitely worthwhile, but definitely dated. Some of the streams were surveyed years, if not decades ago. The map only shows streams that HAD wild trout presence at one point in the past.

Chances are good the streams still hold WT, but no guarantees. And the reverse, no guarantee the streams omitted do not have wild trout. Also note the results of the latest stream surveys are not reflected on the map.

Use it as a guideline/starting point in your search. Nothing replaces drive time and boots in the water.

Good luck.

I still use that map for reference. But yeah, some of it's info is outdated I'm sure.
I know of several good wild trout streams that aren't even listed on it.
Conversely, I've fished some of the streams listed there- a few of them ranked as class A by the fish commission - that were quite poor.

Exactly. Having caught PA wild trout fever, the available resources are guides only, and the only way to find out is to go - time on the water sometimes fruitless, sometimes amazing - they are out there, undisturbed and filled with trout. I have noticed a positive correlation between difficulty of access (distance from roads, etc.) and WT populations, but then then there are those where the waters seem to be trout-free for no apparent reason, which often makes me wish I had some ph measuring device with me to see if acid rain is the culprit.

PA Fish/Boat "supports natural reproduction" list and some topo maps are all you need. Look for streams in Gamelands.

Thanks for the info.

I've been checking out a lot of the streams by putting in the drive and hikes. I'm in Southwest PA so I don't expect much from the Creeks I go to. There have been some trout that I've found and the water is always cold enough. I was more or less just asking if anyone knew the specifics of that map at all or where it was originally listed.

The biggest set back I've run into is private land. Driving to some of the creeks I pass miles and miles of valley before ever seeing another house or farm. Alas, the roads are lined with NO TRESPASSING signs. I don't doubt that there could be trout nestled in there or that I could find them, but I wonder if anyone ever actually sees them or catches them. Sure, it's someones property, but how often do you suppose they hike or ride those miles back in there? I wouldn't even know who to ask for access

Another big factor could be the rain and flashfloods we had here in August. I'm sure a lot of the creeks were changed after that. For all I know a lot of the trout could have ended up in the woods when the water went down.

That map is based on the PFBC's "Streams with Natural Reproduction List". IMO, it's the best list/map out there for use. Most of my favorites are not class A.

That doesn't make it foolproof. As was said, many haven't been surveyed in decades. Also, many have reproduction, but aren't very good. And many are good only in small areas, and that doesn't guarantee the area you visit has them.

It's also only streams which HAVE been surveyed. As they survey more, they're finding trout in streams that aren't on there. They eventually get around to adding them to the list but I'm not sure that map has been updated in a few years.

So, it's the best resource available. And that's a pretty big achievement. But given how many streams there are, limited resources at the PFBC, and widely varied angler interest, there's just no such thing as perfect. It's gonna be hit and miss. The searching is half the fun anyway, this map merely ups your success rate a bit.

Would love to have that map printed to 3' x 6' or even 4' x 8' for a wall mount.
I can just hear the wife now.... Oi

Interesting that you bring up the wall mount. I do have a large wall mount version of the map that I got as a christmas gift years ago. My dad found it for me somewhere. I'm sure that info is quite dated, but still probably a useful guide.

There aren't many trout streams in the SW region that hold trout over the summer, compounded with the reduction in fall stocking you may not find trout in many of the streams. Get a Delorme Gazetteer and look for public land; public land is now your best areas to find trout in the streams on that map.

Try this map. It should work. If not, I will mess around with it.

http://istem.maps.arcgis.com/explorer/?open=6ff44c31f58544f5821009ef8663cec3&extent=-9063849.5784604,4911628.24012674,-8534915.49670945,5222067.0908419

Once clicked on the link... search for PA Trout....several maps will result

Back