Wild day in Potter county!

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I was fishing in Potter County yesterday and actually saw 3 different bears and this nice rattlesnake, my second in the last 2 trips to this stream! I layed my 4wt across his head to get him to rattle. lmao

Attachments

• IMG_1335 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1335 (Custom).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
Well, I'm glad YOU saw the snake. My wife and granddaughter made me go to Cape May last week, and I saw lots of other wild life.

Nice snake man. Good find! I was actually in Clinton county today looking for Hellbenders and Timbers!

I wrote about this before. As a kid, we had a cabin and vacationed/hunted/fished in Cross Fork. Kettle Creek was out our back door, about 20 yards walk. I never saw a rattler, or snake for that matter, until the annual snake roundup and festival. Holy crap!!

That's a nice looking rattler. Great colors. Wonder if it just molted?

In a lot of fishing trips in the poconos and endless mountains this year, I have seen three bears but no rattles... Three bears and a rattler is a lot of wildlife for one day!

Were the bears chowing down on the berries in the stream valley bottoms? A few years ago when I was up that way, the berries were ripe. Every few feet, you could see where a heavy animal had crushed all the grass and berries as it moved through. And there was berry-laced scat everywhere. I was so certain that I'd see a bruin pop his head over the bank somewhere, and that he'd go "woof", and I'd mess myself, but we saw absolutely no animals.

Too many years have gone by for this to be the same snake, but I have a similar looking one I encountered in 2007.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 6
You never know salmonoid!

salmonoid wrote:
Were the bears chowing down on the berries in the stream valley bottoms?
Funny you ask this Kevin. I was seeing numerous berry laden scat piles along the stream. So many in fact, that it caught my attention. I saw the first bear (small) up past the "big hole"and the second one, the biggest (300lbs), near the middle. I couldn't believe how fast he ran up the VERY steep mountainside!!! The third one I saw down near the ford on my way out.

Back