whipple dam

N

NETFM

has anybody fished whipple dam before with spinning rods or ff rod?? curious on what they have in there???

45 years ago when I "worked" as a lfeguard there, Whipple had warmwater fish, including sunnies and a few nice bass. In the spring, the PFBC stocked it with trout. I don't know if it is still stocked, but I imagine the warmwater fish are still there.

it is still stocked i believe. The stream below the dam looks very nice but idk how the fishing is.

I ice fished it once. We caught a few trout, then Paul Bunyon came out. The guy was 3 feet from the effluent and chopped his way through the ice. He was ther 3 mins caugh a limit and left. I got curious to how this guy 1) was brave enough to go that close to end of the lake and 2) catch fish so fast.

I cautiously made my way over and realized there was about 2 ft of water under the ice here and fish EVERYWHERE. I had a blast ripping out stockies this way. Looking back it was not the safest thing to get that close to breast of the dam but then again i was just a young buck.

I caught a brookie that was shaped like a spawning sockeye salmon. I dont know what happened to get him like that but if he would have been a fillet it would have been a great one.

Caught a ton of bluegill there during the summer. Threw flashy nymphs off the dock on the far side. Really miss those summer days during college, the girlfriend would lay on the beach, and I'd head over and fish the other side. Oh to be back in college . . .

I used to fish below the dam with a buddy of mine when we were in college. It is stocked but we used to have some fun catching fish on griffiths gnats, It is a ok place to fish but there are so many better choices in that area.

supposed to be in the 60's sunday so might try adn fish there...ive fished spring creek a bunch of times but i have a feeling it might get a little crowded there if the weather is that warm

Even if spring creek is kinda crowded, I would rather fish a 50' stretch of spring, than fish all of whipple.

the trout fishing is put and take in the lake. The Chain pickerel fishing, is awesome. One of the drawbacks, is come summertime, the lake is one massive weed bed which makes fishing from the banks almost impossible. I take my native out alot when I am home and strip streamers for pickerel alot. All the openings in the weedbeds makes for some great takes. The lake severely needs dredged.

I belong to a camp in the area of Whipple dam. As of the 2011 deer season, the lake was drained. I believe that this was done to kill some weeds.

Dale

Do you mean 2012 deer season by any chance? I fished it all of July and august this past year and if they drained it prior to that, it did absolutely nothing.

Dear NETFM,

Many years ago I fished the dam a little bit but caught mostly sunfish. I had better fishing in Laurel Run above the dam. It was also neat to drive around in the mountains with a car I borrowed from my college roommate. I liked to drive from Whipple Dam to Colyer Lake the "country" way.

Here's a little known trivia fact made even lesser known by the fact that I can't remember the name of the fraternity. Whipple Dam was the source of the salamanders consumed at it's annual "Bowery Ball" when I attended PSU. I know because I helped catch the salamanders one year.

All I remember is that the fraternity was down the road from Rec Hall but for the life of me I can't remember it's name? Can anyone help with that?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

pwk5017 wrote:
Even if spring creek is kinda crowded, I would rather fish a 50' stretch of spring, than fish all of whipple.

A+ Ditto.

Heck, there are a half dozen better places to fish up around there. Take the time and head over to Barree and fish the LJ for a bit. Or even Shavers if you don't feel like driving over through Petersburg.

I have fished above it with my buddy who is currently serving in Afghanistan. his name on here blklogbeadhead. the fishing was mediocre at best but still fun. its listed to have nat repro. above the lake.

jabink84,

Sorry, I meant the 2012 deer season.

Dale

Thats great to hear Dale. It really, really needs it

I used to fish the stream above the Whipple Dam lake (I believe it is Laurel Run) when I was a student at PSU. I had some fun catching natives in that stretch of stream. During the early summer when the lake started to warm up some of the leftover stocked trout would move up into Laurel Run not far above the lake and provided some decent dry fly fishing. The one thing I liked about about Laurel Run is that is was always an option to fish when other bigger waters in the area like the Little J were not fishable due to high water levels.

One summer day I took water temperatures in Laurel Run above and below the lake, to check the warming effect of the impoundment.

About 1/4 mile above the backwaters of the lake: 62F

Just below the dam: 78F

Solar energy!

As a student I used to fish both the lake and Laurel Run.... natives in the run and runt sunnies in the lake with an occasional bass.

I also used to take my girlfriend up there a lot and canoe all over the lake.

Fun times. But another life ago.

Back