Visiting the in-laws in Lancaster

L_soult

L_soult

Tomorrow morning (Thanksgiving) I'm headed east, out of the mountains, to where men are men, and the steams run flat.

That's right... Lancaster County.

My wife's family lives in Landisville, just west of Lancaster.

When I'm not in enjoying my wife's Dad's homebrew or her Mom's cooking and general hospitality, I find my self waiting for something to happen.

So this weekend I'm goin' fishin'.

I was hoping someone can give me some destinations in the area that may produce some good hook-ups.

I was thinking Chiques creek and Little Chiques creek?

Also, any fly or micro-brew recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

L_soult

If you are in that area and are looking for trout hit the Donegal. Just west of the Chickies.

I agree that you should hit the Donegal. Pretty cool little stream. Lancaster Brewing Company or The Spring House Brewery in Lancaster City are both pretty good but I don't know if they will be open on Thanksgiving day.

Are you looking to fish today and/or this weekend as well? Your OP said this weekend, but I'm headed out today on a few hours.

Hardy Fly Fishing has their NA headquarters here, and sadly, the only "fly" establishment I can think of is the Orvis Outlet at Rockvale. Recommend avoiding it due to shopping madness, but my brother said they do have some fishing stuff. All other fly shops or sporting goods stores that sell tying material have closed or sold off their material. Cabelas is close if you haven't been there.

NickR has suggested the local breweries. I personally like the Lancaster Milk Stout. The Spring House Brewery is just down the road from me, but you now have to go to their tasting room in downtown Lancaster to make any purchases.

I could probably fish for a few hours Sunday.

If you're looking to go out for a beer either the Taproom on King Street in downtown Lancaster, Bulls Head pub in Lititz. Also an Appalachian Brewing Company in Lititz and another place whose name escapes me in Lititz selling microbrews. Fishing - Donegal is very close to you. If you're willing to drive you could go to Clarks Creek - less than an hour probably from Landisville.

I could fish on Saturday. Donegal is your best bet. It is LITTERED with trout right now, too.

My favorite wild streams are not really active right now. I fished one last week and it was bust. Caught one on a stream where I usually rock double digits. I'd be up for fishing Donegal, I just don't fish it much so I wouldn't know my way around well.

Thanks for all the responces. Ill probably hit donegal Saturday and maybe Sunday. Around 10 or so.

Anyone is welcome to join me if they don't mind me asking a bunch of questions since I'm new to ff.

Good advice from the gang above. There's about a half dozen mediocre natural reproduction streams in northern Lanc Co, but as Squatch mentioned they're probably fishing pretty tough right now...low, clear, and cold is a tough combo on small freestoners. I don't have a lot of firsthand experience with Donegal but agree that's probably a good option with its stockers and relatively bigger flows. Send me a PM if you'd like some info on the smaller, wild streams.

Iron Hill is my favorite brew pub in Lancaster. Best food by far and a good selection of in house brews.

+1 on Iron Hill Brewery. You can't go wrong picking that one for a good local brew pub. I totally agree Swattie, I think the food is excellent. Good luck on the Donegal, hope you get into some!

Yeah I can meet you at Donegal on Saturday. I was either gonna go there or to the Tully. Stocked streams are a better bet than the wild ones right now I think.

Yo what's goin on!? Are we having a Donegal Jam tomorrow, or am I headed to the Tully for the bigger water?

I'm still good for tomorrow. Lets set a time and place.

11am. Red Horse Barn. Here are the coordinates for GPS/Google Maps
40.068534, -76.526105

I'll be in a silver Town and Country mini van!
Andy

OK. I'll be in a white subaurban with a safari rack.

Cool. You can just part right off the road at the horse barn. If anyone else wants to join us, you know where we'll be!

Where can I finds some flies around here?

Yeah good luck with finding flies!

I have flies if you need some patterns. Beadheads will work, worms (San Juan or Green Weenies), and eggs. I have plenty of all, w/ the exception of the worms. The rainbows are taking ANYTHING right now. Also have plenty of meat to chuck should you feel so inclined.

Thanks. I saw Csoult have luck with some smaller stuff than what I'm carrying. But if they're that agressive right now, I should be alright with my fly arsenal.

Back