visiting the in-laws (Eagles Mere), looking to fish nearby

C

carolinafisherman

Just found this site while browsing PA fly fishing opportunities. Hoping for some recommendations for wild or stocked trout. Coming to PA from North Carolina for 5 days, staying in Eagles Mere. From what I can tell there are places to fish in Worlds End State Park: Loyalsock, Double Run, and Tamarock Run. Are these good options?

Should I head west into Lycoming County where it looks like more options?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/loyalsock/maps/index.htm

At that link you can download a map of Loyalsock State Forest. There is also a phone number where you can call them and they will send you a free paper map.

Loyalsock Creek is stocked and most of the small streams in the state forest have wild trout (brookies and browns).

Some of the private land in the region is posted, but by fishing on the state land, you can avoid that issue.

I'm just five miles south of you.

Since you're from NC, be VERY, VERY careful about the speed limit around Eagles Mere and Sullivan County. We send the rookie police to the barracks just up the road and they are out writing tickets left and right exactly where we are.

Go north on 220 until you get to 154 (just past said police barracks on the left), take 154 for about a mile to Rock Run Road, and follow that to the bridge. That's Loyalsock Creek (called the "Haystacks"), and there's lots of fish and no one around for miles.

That said, try Fishing Creek that starts from 118 all the way through to Bloomsburg. We're just getting a great sulphur hatch this week, so the fishing out to be really, really good!

PM me if you need a local guide. Just be warned I'll force feed you bluegrass music.

Look at the Loyalsock Creek drainage for trout streams, there are many streams in the area. The Loyalsock State Forest Map will be very helpful.

troutbert wrote:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/loyalsock/maps/index.htm

At that link you can download a map of Loyalsock State Forest. There is also a phone number where you can call them and they will send you a free paper map.

Loyalsock Creek is stocked and most of the small streams in the state forest have wild trout (brookies and browns).

Some of the private land in the region is posted, but by fishing on the state land, you can avoid that issue.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

duckfoot wrote:
I'm just five miles south of you.

Since you're from NC, be VERY, VERY careful about the speed limit around Eagles Mere and Sullivan County. We send the rookie police to the barracks just up the road and they are out writing tickets left and right exactly where we are.

Go north on 220 until you get to 154 (just past said police barracks on the left), take 154 for about a mile to Rock Run Road, and follow that to the bridge. That's Loyalsock Creek (called the "Haystacks"), and there's lots of fish and no one around for miles.

That said, try Fishing Creek that starts from 118 all the way through to Bloomsburg. We're just getting a great sulphur hatch this week, so the fishing out to be really, really good!

PM me if you need a local guide. Just be warned I'll force feed you bluegrass music.

Really good stuff here. Thank you df. Are both of those DHALO? When do y'all harvest? Here in NC this is the last week for DH.

Thanks for the guide offer (totally down with bluegrass btw). My warning to you: i am new to fly fishing and love it, so be ready for me to ask 1,000 questions while catching tree limbs all day, lol. But I'll PM you early next week to see if we can make it happen. Thanks again

Chaz wrote:
Look at the Loyalsock Creek drainage for trout streams, there are many streams in the area. The Loyalsock State Forest Map will be very helpful.

Awesome. Thanks Chaz

I believe that the delayed harvest is a go, but I'll make double sure. I'm a catch/release guy when it comes to trout.

You picked a really pretty time to be up here. The fish should be rockin' with some stable weather comin' in too. Loyalsock should be a good prime water temp.

Wading should be a lot easier these next few weeks than it has been all year, as I'm sure everyone on here can attest.

duckfoot wrote:
I believe that the delayed harvest is a go, but I'll make double sure. I'm a catch/release guy when it comes to trout.

You picked a really pretty time to be up here. The fish should be rockin' with some stable weather comin' in too. Loyalsock should be a good prime water temp.

Wading should be a lot easier these next few weeks than it has been all year, as I'm sure everyone on here can attest.

I'm definitely a catch/release guy too, but here in NC once delayed harvest ends the stocked waters are pretty empty after a couple weeks. Wasn't sure if it is the same there.

All sounds good though. Thanks again and I'll be in touch

Back