Virginia Fly Fish Recommendations

G

Giventoflyfish

Looking for recommendations for trout fishing in Virginia in March. Seems like the Shenandoah River area seems like the best area but its difficult to find the best area for rentals and access to good areas of fishing. I'll be calling some guide shops this weekend as well for tips and to book a guide for a day. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lodging needs to be dog friendly.

Talk to the guys at Mossy Creek Fly Fishing, Harrisonburg Va.

There are 3 lodges on sky line drive that provide cabins/ rooms. I prefer big meadows.

The further south you go the better, March can be a cold month and if you get up into higher elevations you'll find that out real fast. You will need a National Forest tag to fish in any of the NP's or National Forests, and the regs vary as to limits and things like that. All the NF's have camping but it can be quite cold over night so you may not want to do that.
But the fishing in VA is sepcial if you're in the NP or NF, personally I like Shenanndoah NP and Mt. Rogers Nat. Rec Area. Both have great scenery and both have great fishing.

Given,
If you've not already considered them....not too far over the border from the Shenandoah Valley in West Virginia is Harmon's lodge. Click on the gal holding the 'bow on the right side of your screen. Harmon's has been kind to our readers and offers a discount.

If you're limited to VA or private water isn't your cup of tea, I'll second the suggestion to contact the folks at Mossy Creek. Mossy is a valley limestoner and is located in the Shenandoah Valley, which is also where the Shenandoah River flows. If you' prefer a mountain freestone experience it really is hard to beat Shenandoah National Park, which is really not the valley but rather the Blue Ridge mountains on the east border of the valley.

+1 on Harman's. The wife just mentioned tonight how much she is looking forward to our next trip down there. I am too!

You do not need a national forest tag to fish any of the streams that are public in Shenandoah National Park. Thats incorrect information. The only requirement is a VA FRESH WATER state license. You do not need to purchase a trout stamp either. If you decide to fush waters outside the parks boundaries then you will need a trout stamp. I buy one just because I dont want to take the chance. Some streams you are required by law to kill all brown trout. In some streams you can havest brookies (which is the only wildlife you can legally take out of the park). Here is a link to the simple yet informative regulations.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/fishing.htm
Then click on the link for fishing regulations within the park.

Murray's fly shop is greAt for info on snp I like the Hughes river and rose rivers i stayed at the sky land lodge in snp and it was very nice and close to great fishing. Go on www. Switchfisher.com he has to s of articles on va streams he has fished.

Shenandoah National Park is one of about 150 park service units that charge an entry fee. 80% of the fees collected at Shenandoah are returned to the park for specific projects.
Visitors to Shenandoah can purchase a one to seven day entrance permit or one of several annual or lifetime passes at Shenandoah's entrance stations.

Frequent visitors to Shenandoah may want to purchase an annual Shenandoah pass. There are also annual and lifetime passes that cover entrance at all National Park Service units and/or Federal areas.
That explains it!!!

At age 60 you can get a senior lifetime pass for $10.00 good for most National Parks.

At age 60 you can get a senior lifetime pass for $10.00 good for most National Parks.

62 yr's

The Village Inn in Harrisonburg is nice and I believe they still take pets. Plenty of hotels in Charlottesville that take pets as well.

In regards to SNP streams, access is easier outside of Sklyline Drive. Skyline Drive, as its name suggests, puts you on top of the ridge. This will require you to hike down the mountain to fish the streams. Accessing the streams from their lower park boundaries will allow for less hiking and more fishing. Nothing wrong with hiking though...

There is plenty of private water options in the area if you don't mind catching stocked rainbows. Even the private sections of Mossy feature areas where you will be fishing over stocked fish. Not sure it matters to you.

There are plenty of streams off of the Blue Ridge Parkway that offer good fishing for brook trout.

The Jackson River near Hidden Valley has some good fishing... not sure about lodging options though.

Back