HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Valley Creek Surprise 7-14-13

From Lancaster County
Quote:

englishprof wrote:
Okay, I'll say it. Those browns have virtually no predators and could probably use a few for the long term health of the fishery. Over the last five years, I think I've seen four or five herons and one mink. That poor bass poses absolutley no threat to those trout. I guess I'm some sort of a hypocrte, because, if they allowed any kind of harvest, I still wouldn't keep any.

If you've seen four or five, there's probably ten times that many that frequent the stream. To say that herons are "virtually no predators" is a bit of a misnomer for the fish eaters that they are.. And if you've seen one mink, then there are likely more that you don't see and if there's one think I remember from my Thornton Burgess books I read as a kid is that Billy the Mink likes trout.

The obvious predator in a brown trout stream is....the brown trout..

So I wouldn't say that the stream is devoid of predators; however, I believe you are correct that this little bass won't put much of a hurtin' on the brownies. Heck, fisherpeople probably kill more biomass (by overplaying or deep hooking) than this little guy will ever eat.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 21:45

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

geebee wrote:
i would have chucked on the bank, me.

I'm glad you didn't catch it then. That's seriously one of the nicest, prettiest, and unique fish I've seen posted on here in a long while. Had I caught it, that fish would probably make my top 10 most memorable fish I've caught, given where it came from.

I don't fish Valley enough to know for sure, but do the C&R regs apply to Trout only or is it no keep for all species as well due to the chemical issues? If it's the latter, banking a Bass would be illegal.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 22:05

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Quote:

geebee wrote:
i would have chucked on the bank, me.

I'm glad you didn't catch it then. That's seriously one of the nicest, prettiest, and unique fish I've seen posted on here in a long while. Had I caught it, that fish would probably make my top 10 most memorable fish I've caught, given where it came from.

i wouldn't have done it happily - its just what they tell you to do in Maine & NH....as far i know the problem is not just a 'few' predators - yes they thin the fingerlings and you get a few years of trophy trout as a result, but once they start breeding and the trophies die off you're left with much reduced biomass.

they've cut landlock salmon numbers in some coldwater rivers by 50%, and if they can survive and thrive in northern Maine then i'd think they are a threat to a flatland spring creek...

Posted on: 2013/7/16 7:52

From Parkesburg
There have been random BASS in VC for as long as I can remember. They have very little impact on the trout which is apparent because VC has well above biomass required to make it a Class A. The biggest threats to Valley are fishing pressure and development.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 8:48

From philadelphia
nice catch! i have caught bass in valley,but only downstream of the falls,near the skuke

Posted on: 2013/7/16 9:06

From Lehigh Valley
I would have been bummed it wasn't a big brown

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:29

From Flourtown, PA
Nick is right. I've caught LM, SM, and rock bass while throwing streamers at Valley. They've been there as long as I can remember. Tilt saw mw land a nice rock bass there once.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:30

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com