Valley Creek Info?

docsab

docsab

So it looks like I will be able to squeeze in some fishing Sunday morning. I would like to try a different stream than where I usually fish(Neshaminy) but can't travel too far.

I was thinking of trying Valley Creek as I have never fished there, but I have some reservations. I know it is a limestone but I read in a separate thread that warm groundwater washes into the stream raising the temps too high to fish for trout.

I was wondering if some of you who are more familiar with the stream can give me an idea if it is worth the drive for me(about an hour). Is it too warm now? Are there other worthwhile fish(smallies) there? Any sections I should avoid/pay attention to?

I realize some may suggest the Little Lehigh instead, but I have fished it twice with you guys and wanted to try someplace new.

Thanks

I fished there last Sunday. The water temp was 62° when I got there in the morning, and that was after it had rained hard Friday night. I only took that one reading, but the water was cool enough later in the day to give me a chill through my waders.

I hope to get out again tomorrow. I'll try to post a follow up with the creek temp. so that you can make an informed decision about Sunday.

I usually fish the stretch below the covered bridge, but I heard there are some good sections upstream. Last Sunday was a little crowded. I think I counted 6 other anglers on the stretch below the bridge.

jbomb wrote:
I usually fish the stretch below the covered bridge, but I heard there are some good sections upstream. Last Sunday was a little crowded. I think I counted 6 other anglers on the stretch below the bridge.

That's because of all the spot burning ;-) jk - couldn't resist.

That's because of all the spot burning ;-) jk - couldn't resist.

First post and I'm already giving away too much information! It seems I need a guide for the fly fishing forum. Perhaps I was trying the 'ol "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded," routine.

jbomb,
Welcome to our online community. As you have likely surmised, this particular waterway is heavily fished by our readership and there is some sensitivity to the issue of discussing it. Although we certainly encourage open sharing of information here on PAFF and using the Advanced Search box at the bottom of this page will bring up a large amount of content pertaining to Valley Creek....you do have the option, should you choose to do so, to send a private message using the "PM" function. It's up to you. Each of our readers must decide for themselves how they feel about discussing streams by name. Some folks here are very open about it, others never mention where they fish (and that's fine too).
Best,
Dave

jbomb wrote:
I understand. My apologies.

jbomb- My fault for asking- thanks for trying to be helpful.

jbomb wrote:
I understand. My apologies.

Absolutely no need to apologize - kudos to you for answering a question in the Beginner's Forum.

The myth that this stream gets "pounded" is really getting old. I've fished it more than anyone on PAFF this year. Last Saturday, I fished a popular and easily accessible section and didn't see another guy from 7:00 A.M. to Noon. Sunday, another stretch less popular and again nobody.

The water temperature is fine - 62 each day early and up to about 65 at Noon. You will find some others in the Park.....but six.....please!!!!! Plenty of water for that many. There are some on here that will try to tell you that it's like Erie for Steelhead - elbow to elbow. It's not. Others will tell you the water is too warm. It's not.

Doc.....PM me if you want meet there on Sunday. I wouldn't dare post specific sections here. After all, it really is a "secret" stream that's difficult to find. I will say this.....if you're looking for an easy place to catch a bunch of fish, Valley isn't the place. That's to scare off some the wild hordes who might be there after reading this.

By the way, the riparian buffer along the entire stream is fantastic. Some natural and some due to the work of some dedicated volunteer organizations to which I should at least donate. I fall short there especially since I now spend so much time on the stream. I'll correct that. I've seen no section where storm water runs directly from paved areas into the creek. None.

if you're looking for an easy place to catch a bunch of fish, Valley isn't the place.

Some of us newbies are still looking for that place :lol:

I hate your politics, but if you want to meet there, let me know.

The Prof never shares info with me!!!!!!!!!!! JK

Prof, we need to get out in our secret stretch again soon. Maybe 9/8 or 9/9 when I done my work trips for a few weeks.

Prof,

Sent another one, let me know if you don't get that one. Is it OK to AIM you?

Back