Valley Ck: as described in May, 1988 Pa. Angler magazine

M

Mike

I was sent (from a colleague in SW Pa.) a May, 1988 article that I had forgotten about that I had written concerning Philadelphia's improving fisheries. It was interesting to go back in history. For your possible interest, here is what I said about Valley Ck at the time (taken directly from the article):

When it comes to trout fishing, metropolitan
Philadelphia fishermen are not
limited to put-and-take fisheries. Valley
Creek, located 20 miles from center-city
Philadelphia in Valley Forge National Park,
maintains an exceptional wild brown trout
population, even by statewide standards.
Some 10 years ago this population was
nearly destroyed by siltation from development
in the drainage. Today, the trout
population thrives, but harvest is forbidden
due to flesh contamination by PCBs.
The stream offers good, uncrowded catchand-
release fishing.

[color=CC0000]SPOTBURN! [/color]

Mike you could write the same article today except I think the PCB thing is a myth after all these years and VFTU puts the warning signs up to maintain the creek as unofficially catch and release. You don't see dead blue herons along the stream bank that ate PCB contaminated fish.

Yeah, but would we know it if the herons were a little crazier than other herons?

pcray1231 wrote:
Yeah, but would we know it if the herons were a little crazier than other herons?

Maybe if they forget to squawk and fly downstream instead of up after they spot you?

Valley Creek is officially catch-and-release. It's on page 16 of the PFBC regs booklet.

troutbert wrote:
Valley Creek is officially catch-and-release. It's on page 16 of the PFBC regs booklet.

WOW Troutbert...I never knew the whole damn creek was C&R. Never thought to look as I always C&R. Here is the link I saw. Don't know about page 16 as the online link has no page #s.

http://fishinpa.com/troutregs_se.html

Swattie87 wrote:
Maybe if they forget to squawk and fly downstream instead of up after they spot you?

Prof Fox Gap and now you Swattie being critical of fishing Valley downstream!!!!

to the best of my knowledge VFTU does not post any signs in the watershed concerning the PCB contamination. I can check at the next Board meeting if this was ever done.

Back