HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Upper Bucks Co Surprise

From Lancaster County
Quote:

NJAngler wrote:
Knowing trout are in a stream is nice but if nobody can fish there because its on private land, well I really don't see that as good news. I see it as yet one more place I can't fish. Class "A" trout list is depressing to look at since most are off limits. In all honesty, I'd rather not know. Tell me about it when I can fish it

You seem to have made the mistake of believing that fish exist for your pleasure and that landowners should also open their land for your pleasure. Rather, look at it as a blessing that some fish allow themselves to be caught and that some land is open to the public. Also consider that private land provides some amount of protection for the fish.

I don't agree that most of the Class A is off limits, statewide or Bucks County only (where 3 of 4 streams are listed as almost 100% private open). Further, just because the list says one thing doesn't mean you still can't ask permission (and just because a section is listed as open also doesn't mean that it hasn't closed since then).

Posted on: 2013/9/19 8:18

From LV
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Do you have a theory on why the stream had no trout before, and why it does now?

What they though in the 1800's, Spontenous generation!
The only way they could have been there is stocking, probably not, or they were present somewhere in the headwaters. The other posibility, they came from some other creek out of the river.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 9:08

From LV
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
So you're saying there's still hope of finding a wild trout stream in Beaver county???

My hope is never lost.

There are probably a couple, just keep looking.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 9:18

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Not so sure about Beaver, the geology just sucks. There probably weren't any, or at least not many, before white men settled it either.

I do have generally the same view as NJ Angler, though with a more positive view. I do think trout fishing is improving in this state, both in adding new waters, and in improving existing ones. Sure, there are negatives mixed in. You can find streams that are getting worse, but there are more that are getting better. You can find streams that are being posted, but there are plenty available to the public, more and more are PERMANENTLY getting set aside for the public, and we're making new trout streams to boot! Acid rain abatement. Mine acid cleanups. Better sewage treatments. Getting better about stream "buffer" zones. And management and angler attitudes are getting better, if slowly.

There's more good than bad.

I do agree that a wild trout stream is NOT a resource if the public can't access it. Well, you could argue that improving the water quality on posted land is likely to improve it downstream somewhere where the public can access it. And that's true. But to be clear, if I were to support such a project, the purpose would be to improve the water quality where the public can access it. In itself, there's no value to improving private, posted resources. The only value to the public is it's effect on resources available to the public. If the landowner wants to improve it, good for him, but the public shouldn't give him a dime.

The value of nature isn't intrinsic. We're well past that, our land bears no resemblence to "nature" anymore. It's value is it's value to humans. That said, I think in making management practices, us humans tend to think way too short term. I'd rather have something return a small benefit forever than get a large benefit now and ruin it for the future.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 11:12

From Other side of the tracks
One kg? No offense but it would take a lot of your typical native brook trout to make 22.2 lbs. Still a nice find. Too bad you have to advertise it now.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 11:24

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

phiendWMD wrote:
I think I'm going to have to start exploring Upper Bucks a little harder.

How does a stream that used to be warm water 20 year turn into a cold water stream?

Trees

Posted on: 2013/9/19 11:26

From LV
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
One kg? No offense but it would take a lot of your typical native brook trout to make 22.2 lbs. Still a nice find. Too bad you have to advertise it now.

Dave, when you went to farming did that cause you to forget your math skills, 1 KG = 2.2 lbs. That's 1 brookie where I fish. LOL

Posted on: 2013/9/19 17:23

Mike - can't wait to hear about the Berks County stream, I need to get off my butt and start checking those wild brown trout streams in Berks.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 18:24

From Lebanon
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Did some research and think I know what Bucks creek it is BUT can someone PM me to confirm as not to spot burn? Would love for my county to offer some more trout opps so I have spots to go to when time is tight.

It's good to see more waters being added to the Southeast and Bucks. I am pretty sure there are a few more to be found before long.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 16:11

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
theres quite a few streams in bucks that hold trout either wild or stockies running up and surviving.. I spent most of my life in bucks and have found such places where you would not a trout could survive. sorry my lips are sealed as to which ones, though chaz might know a few..

Posted on: 2013/10/5 10:35

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Parkesburg
Yep, only you and Chaz know of them and nobody else (:

Posted on: 2013/10/5 12:42

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
yep theres streams in bucks that havn't seen anyone for years. I even kept a little black book on them.....

Posted on: 2013/10/5 16:44

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Bucks County
Are there trout in Watson creek?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 17:10

From SE Pa.
Not since the Indians left

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Not since the Indians left.

To be fair, Sandfly and Chaz might be talking about that time frame.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 16:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com