Tiadaghton State Forest

• Thread starter AmblingAardvark
  • Start date
AmblingAardvark

AmblingAardvark

Hi all, I am attempting to plan for and put together a short trip up into the Little Pine/Tiadaghton State Forest area for some buddies and me. My hopeful plan is to be able to hike in, set up camp, and be able to wake up and fish with minimal walking or hiking to get to the stream. From what I understand, primitive camping is allowed in Tiadaghton State Forest with a camping permit. I know from what I have found searching and reading that several of you live/frequent this area. Is my plan feasible for this stretch of the Little Pine? Should I go somewhere else? Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!

AmblingAardvark wrote:
Hi all, I am attempting to plan for and put together a short trip up into the Little Pine/Tiadaghton State Forest area for some buddies and me. My hopeful plan is to be able to hike in, set up camp, and be able to wake up and fish with minimal walking or hiking to get to the stream. From what I understand, primitive camping is allowed in Tiadaghton State Forest with a camping permit. I know from what I have found searching and reading that several of you live/frequent this area. Is my plan feasible for this stretch of the Little Pine? Should I go somewhere else? Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!

Feasible? Certainly. How far do you want to hike before setting camp? Much of the public land around Little Pine is Little Pine State Park instead of Tiadaghton St Forest. If you camp on St forest land in this section you can't have the minimal walking to the stream.

The goal is to be able to camp next to the stream in a good location to fish. Hiking to get to that campsite is not an issue..

Just based on what you are describing, I'm not sure little pine is an ideal stream choice. The stretch between English Center and Little Pine State park really isn't ideal for a wilderness-ish type hike. I mean, you can do it, but a relatively busy road runs within a few hundred yards of the creek along that stretch, and I would imagine that it would take a way a bit of the charm.

I'd hike in on the Western side of Pine Creek and camp near a tributary. Remember you need a permit for State Forest Camping, you can get the permits from the State Forest Office.

If you are staying only one night at any given site, you don't need a permit. More than one you do. Also remember to keep camp at least 100 feet from the stream. Link below should give you the info you need as far as regs go. Check out the online SF maps and pick a good looking spot and go. Part of the fun is the exploration.

Link

As stated above with the rode and many cabins within close proximity to little pine I really don't think your gonna have a wilderness experience. I would take a look up towards the pa grand canyon, there's some great tribs and spots to camp along pine creek in that stretch. I camped in that area last year around this time.

Okay, suggestions and further investigation leads me to try camping/fishing just north of the Slate Run Tackle Shop on the Slate Run. I'm not very keen on being that close to the highway for sure. Is the fishing on Slate Run in that area decent?

Slate Run is a beautiful stream with very good fishing, although it does get a good bit of pressure.

Look carefully at the state forest maps, and pick out some possible locations.

Then call the state forest office and tell them where you want to camp.

Check your PM, Aard, I just sent you some info.

I hiked the Black Forest Trail with my then 15 yr old daughter in 2009 in less than three days, so I don't want to hear any whining about the rugged terrain. (JK). I've visited the Slate Run area for 35 years off and on but hiking the BFT gave me a different perspective.

If anyone wants to really see Slate Run, approach Slate Run from the south on the BFT. As you descend into Slate you will be treated with one of the bestest views anywhere in Pa. My daughter and I stopped to ooh and ahh and both agreed that the scene looked like places we've been to in the Rocky Mtns.

Enjoy!

Camping is not permitted along Slate Run, to my knowledge. However, camping is permitted further upstream.

There is a camp ground on Slate Run, 7 miles up. People also camp at Morris Run Mouth. But Slate Run gets a lot of traffic on the weekends. On the plus side the CG is at a good section of Slate Run. All the tribes are good.

Back