Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: the V-word

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
OK, newbie question but since it is discussed in this thread .. "If a stream can't handle high pressure".

Generally this means, in the mouth of he or she who utters it, that they don't like to have a lot of company on the particular stream. It can't handle pressure from you, but it can handle it from them....

That hurts Jack. More about what Heritage Ed said about the dangers of harvesting on certain streams.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 9:10

Re: the V-word

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Serious question .. what gives with all this spot burn stuff?

Seems some guys get defensive abt spot burning and others are more than happy to discuss locations. Believe me I have no secret spots but got reamed once for asking a question. I just moved on and didn't answer but kind of felt that some questions are off limits.

Is there a policy and/or 'secret' code of conduct on the board?

StagMeister,

I think the general stream (no pun intended) of thought on the subject (spot burning) is being, I think, discrete about where (exactly) you fish.

That said there seems to be varying criteria in what one would consider spot burning - at least from my observations thus far.

As an example, Valley Creek - everyone whose anyone knows of Valley Creek and as I said yesterday, there are no secret spots on Valley. That water has been fished top to bottom by hundreds of fisherman. Generally speaking though it's not a big draw - you won't encounter too many days when there are more than may 5 or 10 fisherman the whole length. So to me mentioning Valley would not spot burning if I were asked.

Now on the otherhand lets say you discover a prime wild trout fishery somewhere out there in the wilds of PA where the brookies are long as your arm and there more fish than you can imagine. For some naming this stream might be considered spot burn. Or maybe you find a certain stretch of a stream where all the good fishing happens and you name the spot (detailed description, how to get there) some would consider that spot burning.

Needless to say I think it's just a protective mechanism to prevent non-regulars from finding good to great places to fish - those that troll the board just for these purposes.

I say the best policy is simply not mentioning exactly where you go if you are worried about it getting over fished and use PM if you trust the person asking for tips.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 11:26

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com