the stoney creek river

S

somersetian

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the stoney creek river. I have fished trout out of it by the glessner covered bridge for years, but apparently theres suppose to be good small mouth fishing after the Kantner bridge. I know nothing more than it says on "The stoney creeks" website that it is stocked with smallies after the kantner bridge, but I dont know of anybody who has fished there. Any info would be appreciated.

I fished it once, quite a few years ago now.
Walked downstream a little ways into the gorge from that covered bridge. It's a nice looking stream there.
I found a few fish rising to a rather sparse hatch of cahills, if I remember correctly.
Caught what looked to be run of the mill stockers. I wasn't impressed by it enough to return, though

I've not fished Stoney Ck in years. When I did, I fished from Rt 30 upstream. I did well on mostly small fish. But it was all dry flies, and no one around... I felt like somebody was gonna jump out of the bushes and arrest me.

It's a beautiful high-gradient stream from Glessner bridge down through the gorge. Fished it about a week ago, and caught a handful of small browns 6-8" and a few similar sized smallmouths on wets and dries. Looks like it should have more fish than I was able to find.

Try BELOW Holsopple , take the dirt roads that run up and down the train tracks. There are many places where small springs empty in but you gotta find 'em.

Back