Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Switzerland

I have been to Switzerland six times bicycle touring, hiking, cross country skiing, and Alpine skiing. Naturally, given my profession and fishing interest I have discussed fishing with a very outdoors oriented Swiss friend. Bottom line...fishing is highly restrictive in comparison to the US. I was even told that at my time of inquiry you could only fish on certain days of the week. Fishing was quite expensive for residents. Unlike in other European countries, I never saw anyone fishing in Switzerland. Can't say if that is the situation now. I recommend hiking for the true Swiss experience; every bend in the trail presents a new post card like scene.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 13:49

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Another cool thing I did while I was in Switzerland was canyoning.

http://www.swissriveradventures.ch/canyoning.83.0.html?&L=1

Posted on: 2013/6/15 14:40

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Ok, well, if I do get a free day, this guy is probably my first contact. It's a little far from where I'll be based, but if I get a day, I wanna get down to the Alps. Doesn't look like it'll take any longer than going to central PA from SE PA on a day trip, which is TOTALLY worth it to fish the freakin Alps.

http://upstreamflyfishing.com/

Have my doubts about the yodeling, but I could get into the alphorn.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 23:08

I see he's located in Wilderswil. You will be able to get there fast and efficiently by train, with the freedom to enjoy scenery that you won't get from a car and the opportunity to make it a full day, sleeping , if needed, on the way back.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 8:10

From Pittsburgh
I was very impressed with the modern rail system they have in switzerland. It seemed to me, that you can go just about anywhere you want by train.

Pat - I could really picture you in lederhosen, along with one of those alpine hats with a feather in it

Posted on: 2013/6/16 9:12

From Da 'Berg, PA
I believe that you still have to take a test for a permit in Switzerland.

Like in some states in Germany...

Don't overlook the other side of the border - fishing in Austria, France or Italy is much easier and it can be c&r.

I did find this guy on google - swissholidayhouse.com he seems to speak English and can help you plan.

Wild browns and grayling should be your targets.

Mark

Posted on: 2013/6/16 15:00

From Da 'Berg, PA
I also found this article :

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/10713 ... t-fly-fishing-in-the-alps

Gourmetfly.com has been featured as a guide in a number of UK fly fishing mags.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 15:11

If you have vacation time after the work trip, go to Austria.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 17:09

Again, the trip will be on the western side of Switzerland. Probably flying into Geneva, and going NORTH for work. It's not that unfeasible to go to central or southcentral Switzerland to get more into the Alps, but a trip east to Austria is likely out of the question.

France is possible.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 17:57

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

France is possible.

France is about 6 miles away - the river doubs forms the swiss french border there. upstream at La Goule seems to be one of the best sections for trout and char.

http://www.jura-flyfishing.com/rivers-en.php

http://www.bamboorods.ch/guiding/doubs_flyfish_practicalinfo.htm

also, sunset there is about 9.30pm so 'dark' will be around 10pm. plenty of time to fish after work/dinner...

Posted on: 2013/6/16 20:33

Edited by geebee on 2013/6/16 21:14:25

Just an update. Plans finalizing. Flying in Monday the 8th. Free from work starting Thursday morning. Flying home, from Geneva, early Sunday morn. So I got all day Thurs/Fr/Saturday to myself, but Thurs will start in La Chaux de Fonds and I need to be in Geneva by Saturday night.

I contacted (through his website) the guy from upstream fly fishing (also owns the swiss holiday house mentioned, same guy). But have yet to recieve a reply. Been a week. Tried again yesterday. Don't know if maybe the website is old or something, or if he's just on vacation. Ashame, because that's the direction (to the core Alps) I wanted to head anyway, and I'd rather do the mountain streams than the chalk type streams.

If, by Saturday, I don't have a reply, I will probably contact the French option. With hopes that I could do something on Thursday, leaving me Friday-early Saturday to get down to the core of the Alps.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 9:19

From Chester County
You dog...

Attach file:

jpg  Flyfishing-Switzerland-01.jpg (263.50 KB)
53_51cd95225ac72.jpg 500X376 px

Posted on: 2013/6/28 9:52

From Pittsburgh
Lucky you!
Don't know if you plan on just some plain old sight seeing. But probably our favorite spot there, was a little town called Zermatt - which sits close to the base of the matterhorn. We spent just 2 days there, but wish we could have stayed a lot longer.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 10:01

From Ephrata, PA
My wife lived in Switzerland for a year...but she doesn't fly fish so no help there.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 10:03

Yeah, I saw Zermatt and thought about going down there. Interlaken is probably a more likely jumping around point, though. I don't have forever, and getting to Zermatt would be spending more time travelling, less time for fun. But from Interlaken you can see many of the sights north of Zermatt.

That's kind of why I wanted to do the Alps trip instead of the French options. It's in the direction I wanted to go anyway. Afish's picture is from the guide I am trying (unsuccessfully) to contact. But it just doesn't look right to me!!!! Where's that water coming from?, lol.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 11:45

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
63 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com