Spring Creek this Sunday

skeeter

skeeter

I have only fished SC once at Paradise so I am not familiar with the waters. Can someone wager a guess how it might be this Sunday with the rain forecasted tomorrow and the melting snow (if any)? I think they are calling for 0.5" - 0.75" of rain but I am not sure how much snow you guys have on the ground up there. I am just trying to decide if I should give SC a run or save my 2.5 hr drive and hit a CV spring creek. Or is Penns a better option, but I think there is more snow up in the mountains that could melt.... I am just not familiar enough with SC but from what I understand it does receive a good bit of stormwater input. I am aware of the snails and have my backup boots and waders ready. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

There's a website that gets updated daily through TCOs fly shop in state college. It shows water levels on the USGS gauge that's updated constantly so you know what your up against when you arrive, plus daily reports. Just google TCO Spring Creek and it should come up. Good luck to ya.

USGS gauges as LetortAngler noted, for water levels.

Combine that with http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index.html?year=2014&month=1&day=10&units=e&region=Allegheny_Front

That will get you an estimate of the snow depth. Based on predicted forecast temps and precipitation amounts, I'd predict that what snow is left will melt. Someone who is more regular fishing Spring will have to comment on how winter melt and runoff affects it.

There is still a good amount of snow on the hills/ridges. Weather services calling for flood warnings tonight. You can check the gauge as others have suggested. It might be too stained sunday and off color monday. The ground is quite saturated right now from the last last snow melt and there are many pockets of frozen ice around waiting to melt. I fished yesterday and there is still ice around the banks and in the wet areas near the stream.

FYI:upper spring was just a tick above 40 degrees so the water temps recovered nicely from the deep freeze.

skeeter, its still raining at 2PM and we will get more, but the heaviest rain miraculously stayed to the NW and east of the SC college area. Keep an eye on the gauge. If houserville is at or below 80 cfs Spring can be fished. I'm sure the water will be up and stained, but fish can be caught with large nymphs and streamers.

Thanks so much guys, just the type of info I was hoping for. It looks like the gauges are starting to drop so I think my buddy and I are gonna make a run for it, probably starting in the upper gorge area. Thanks again! Tight Lines!

Back