Smallmouth - State College Area

S

SmallieFisher

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any good streams for small mouth fishing around State College (Aside from the Juniata and Susquehanna).

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you!

May want to try the different branches to the Juniata, or the extreme lower ends of some the larger, popular "trout streams" in the area.

I've found that for Smallies in smaller to mid size tribs of the big rivers (Susky or main stem Juniata) you really need to put in some time exploring different sections of the streams. Just because you strike out in one area of a stream, don't write the whole stream off. The big rivers seem to have at least some fish everywhere, but the tribs are often a mile or two of pretty junky water, followed by a mile or two of really good water.

The Franky (Frankstown Branch) isn't bad in places. I've never targeted smallies in lower Bald Eagle but I'd suspect it's decent.

And the W. Branch of the Susquehanna is another good option.

There are smallmouth in Bald Eagle Creek upstream from Milesburg.

But it's only about 45 minutes to the Juniata River from State College, and that's a far better bet, IMHO.

pcray1231 wrote:
And the W. Branch of the Susquehanna is another good option.
Nope, nothing in there at all it's dead. ;-)

There is small mouth all over the place in this area.

List some more suggestions then please! I'm looking for close areas (within 30min). I'm a student at PSU, and I'm looking for places to fish after class (I plan on going to the Juniata and Susquehanna on the weekends!) I fished Bald Eagle by Milesburg, and even though it was really low I still did fairly well.

Easy dude…I realize this was your first thread on the site, and so there’s really no way you should be expected to know this (so please do not interpret this as being critical in any way, as it is not meant to be)…but just some general advice about the inner workings of this forum:

You’ll find that a lot of guys are pretty hesitant to openly “list” their favorite fishing spots (even for Smallmouth) out in the open forum, especially with a first time poster who comes in asking for advice on spots to fish. Right, wrong, or indifferent that’s their choice, and there’s nothing wrong with it. I think the general line of thinking among many participants in the forum is that a nudge in the right direction one thing, but much of the enjoyment and satisfaction of FFing comes in exploring and finding new spots on your own.

With that in mind, take a minute or two to reread the advice above, and cross reference that with some maps and articles on the PFBC site, or other existing threads on here. With a little net surfing and research, I think you’ll find the above pretty useful.

There aren't many places closer than the Juniata.

Bald Eagle is about it.

I've heard there are some in lower Standing Stone Creek. That gets very low too. And it's not much closer than the Juniata.

Look at a map. The waterways of any size that are closer to you than the Juniata are Spring Creek and Bald Eagle Creek.

Sorry, I didn't see your disclaimer of 30 min. You can get here in 45-50 that puts you in a whole other game. If you're willing to do that send me a pm I'll let you know of a few good places.

Thanks for all the help and advice! After re-reading my last response I did sound pushy and I apologize. I meant it to sound more-so desperate, but it didn't come off that way. I appreciate all the advice I've got thus far! I've looked at numerous maps, printed them off, and have done a ton of web searches, spent hours on Google Earth, and even ordered pamphlets; but I guess it's time to get off the computer and into the water. The best I could come up with is Bald Eagle Creek, Penns Creek, and supposedly Spring Creek. I just never heard of anyone catching them in the latter two and was trying to see if anyone has (I should have just come out and asked that).

I'd send you to the same place you already found n try some places downstream from there within your drivin time.

Penns for sure.

Last year I caught a smallmouth at Benner Spring while night fishing. That was the only smallmouth I ever caught in spring creek. I've caught lots of smallies in penns creek, but my understanding is that the best smallmouth water is well below the trout water.

The bald eagle above milesburg may be the best choice. There are some surprisingly good bass in that stretch of water. I've caught my share of smallmouth below milesburg, but I consider the stretch between milesburg and the lake to be more trout water than smallmouth.

Back