Slippery Rock Creek

• Thread starter SoYoCoTransplant
  • Start date
S

SoYoCoTransplant

So my job will be taking me to Cranberry for a few months intermittently and I was researching fishable creeks nearby and it looks like Slippery Rock Creek is the closest. So I have the following questions:

1. Is it the closest stream to Cranberry/Mars area?
2. Is it a put and take fishery or are there actual FFO/C&R/DHALO sections of stream or is there wild trout inhabitants?
3. Are there better small stream fishing options while working in this area?

There is a FFO section near the Armstrong Bridge IIRC. I have only fished it a few times and mostly in August for bass. I will say this, wading the gorge/McConnells Mill section can be dangerous at best. Be safe.

I've fished in the park above the mill dam and I do not go into the water, mostly becuase im scared to go in the water. That being the banks are fairly fishable if you are willing to navigate a lot of rocks. The rocks arent slippery but they are big and youll do some climbing.

I wouldnt be surprised if there were some holdovers but for the most part its probably put in and take. There is a pretty healthy smallmouth population though.

the creek is a killer don't go in lol... there is a ffo, it is fishes well at times. neshanock is a little further but only 10, 15 minutes. Fish holdover in both streams but only 2-3 a hole or run. most people who drown, don't use caution. smallmouths are plentiful in the warmer months.

Wow you fellas may have scared me shitless. I take it Slippery Rock claims lives?

SoYoCoTransplant wrote:
1. Is it the closest stream to Cranberry/Mars area?

No there are plenty of ATW streams in the area. Slippery Rock may be the closest special regs area though.

2. Is it a put and take fishery or are there actual FFO/C&R/DHALO sections of stream or is there wild trout inhabitants?

There is a FFO special regs area. The stream relies on stocking as it gets pretty warm in the summer. Also, it is a large creek once it gets into the state park. Even in low water it is a large creek. For perspective, in the spring it typically has more flow than Penns or the Little Juniata.

I'm not a fan of the Slippery Rock FFO area. It is a small special regs area and is not on very good water IMO. I usually fish several stretches north of 422 and target bass, however there are plenty of trout around until the summer heat sets in. I've caught many trout in July over the years and in milder years have got trout in late summer and fall also.

3. Are there better small stream fishing options while working in this area?

The small stream wild trout game generally requires a lot of homework in this area and you are not going to find much close to Cranberry. The farther north you travel the more wild trout streams you will encounter. If you are willing to go as far north as Venango County or The Allegheny National Forest, your wild trout options increase exponentially. Consult the PAFBC wild trout stream listings for ideas and leads.

Back