Salmon River NY

odizz17

odizz17

Anyone been up to the SR recently? Heading up tonight, gonna see if I can get into some steelies. Haven't been up since late November, kinda wondering what to expect... Thanks in advance

lots of shelf ice and snow. water is cold and fish are very sluggish. temps (air) are in the teens and below

They got pounded with snow weds and are getting more tonight. River is low (285). You should still be able to catch fish. Concentrate from the trestle up through the lfz.

Hope you packed snowshoes.

Appreciate the feedback guys. I'll post a solid report when I get back for anyone that is planning on going up

Very cold weather, but you'll catch fish.

Hey, how'd you make out? Pulaski has gotten in excess of 12' of snow this year. I'd have to believe that 6'-8' is still on the ground. In addition, the river had to be about 40% ice shelf w/ anchor ice. Couldn't have been a good time.

Haha dude the shelf ice was CRAZY. Along with the many icebergs coming down the river. I went 1-3 in a day and a half. My uncle went 3-5 using a centerpin and an egg sac. My fish came on a size 10 rubber legged stonefly. We mainly fished Pineville and above. I gotta get up there more often. It's an interesting fishery, and lots of good fish. Saw a guy land a steelie that was an easy 15lbs in the run below the tressel.

I'll try and upload a pic of my steelie then. It's not letting me attach the pic at the moment

Go in first half of October if you want to see 'interesting'. LOL. I was going to say that the only open water was above pineville.

Yea I was up in early October for Salmon. Caught a few, and had fun. Just not really my kinda thing. A fresh coho woulda been nice. Had one take, and some random dude tried netting it before it was ready, and it snapped me off under a tree. Only coho I've ever had take a fly. Woulda been a beautiful replica mount. I'm more interested in the steelies and browns. I really want a 10lb lake run brown...

I was up the week of the 17th. We did pretty well all things considered. Its cold with lotsa snow and ice. I stayed mostly above pineville, i even braved the petting zoo-- lol, the fly fishing area.

Does anyone go up fishing the salmon river in April and May? How's the fishing then?

the fishing can be good in April and CAN be good in early May if there is water. Dropback steelies are hungry.

Back