Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Riparian Zones

From Johnstown, PA
Riparian zones should be left alone. Not groomed or trimmed. Let mother nature determine the Rip zone. A stream improvement project should remain IN the stream. Maybe planting some stuff to hold up an eroding bank but not groomed or trimmed. IMHO Osprey.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 7:38

Re: Riparian Zones

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I agree.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 8:24

From Parkesburg
Agreed 100 Percent... the only evidence I leave of my presence is foot prints.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 8:47

From Butler County
Except in the case of invasives - we have huge stands of knotweed that are turning our stream banks into a monoculture real quick. If you leave it go, it will replace all the native vegetation.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 19:18

From Richfield, PA
That Japenese Knotweed is bad stuff. Just go to the West Branch of the Delaware if you wanna get mad at some weeds.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 20:26
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I have worked with DCNR on it and you cannot get rid of it, we burned, poisened, dug up and still came back next season. unless you get every little root spore it will come back.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 20:41

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Riparian vegetation is very important. And this has been known for many years.

But how to accomplish it? Landowners, both private and public, like mowed grass along the streams.

How do you convince them to stop mowing, and allow trees and shrubs to grow in a wide buffer along the stream?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 8:38

From LV
So I guess that the thousands of trees planted by Perkiomen valley T. U. have all been for nought? Come on now, the temperatures are down all the way to Green Lane Reservior and would not be if we only worked in stream. Most of what is wrong with PA streams is directly attributable to Agriculture and logging, therefore plant lots of trees. But they must be natives. No weepin chinese willows, please!

Posted on: 2013/3/14 14:15

From Johnstown, PA
If it's growing there then it's supposed too......leave it alone....plant something good for the water.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 6:55

From LV
If it's invasive remove it!

Posted on: 2013/3/22 20:35

Quote:
Landowners, both private and public, like mowed grass along the streams.

How do you convince them to stop mowing, and allow trees and shrubs to grow in a wide buffer along the stream?

I've wrestled with that question for years. The best answer I've come up with is "induce them to eat peyote".

With the farmers, the question is somewhat different. I think they deserve to be compensated in accordance with "takings" policy, as part of a comprehensive national soil conservation program. That most "unsexy" of issues, according to the sexless drone pundit class.

A massive rural soil conservation effort could have made for part of a great low-tech Federal "stimulus" program, providing not only jobs but an investment that reaps tangible long-term benefits. But Republicans have shot down or shriveled up soil conservation bills for years, and the Dems blew the only chance they had for massive infrastructure investment in environmental quality projects by committing all of their political capital and a large chunk of future government revenues to a massive "universal health care" insurance policy instead (notwithstanding multiple objections from small business owners and uh the majority of the customer base across the political spectrum). And we know how that's worked out so far. But I digress.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 5:17

Edited by barbless on 2013/3/24 5:36:46
Edited by barbless on 2013/3/24 5:42:12

Quote:

osprey wrote:
Riparian zones should be left alone. Not groomed or trimmed. Let mother nature determine the Rip zone. A stream improvement project should remain IN the stream. Maybe planting some stuff to hold up an eroding bank but not groomed or trimmed. IMHO Osprey.

So why one and not the other? If mother nature has determined what's appropriate, or not, for the stream bank, then why can't mother nature deem what's appropriate for the actual stream?

Posted on: 2013/3/24 10:34

Quote:

barbless wrote:
Quote:

I've wrestled with that question for years. The best answer I've come up with is "induce them to eat peyote".

We haven't tried this yet. But we've tried nearly everything else.

The PFBC is still mowing many areas along Spring Creek. And not just at the Fishermans Paradise no wading zone, but other places along the creek.

We've tried contacting local PFBC people and we've appealed right to top, without success.

I've seen mowing to the water's edge on other PFBC properties also, around the state.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 11:44

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

barbless wrote:
Quote:

The PFBC is still mowing many areas along Spring Creek. And not just at the Fishermans Paradise no wading zone, but other places along the creek.

We've tried contacting local PFBC people and we've appealed right to top, without success.

I've seen mowing to the water's edge on other PFBC properties also, around the state.

Now that's really crazy,if anyone should know better it sure should be the PFBC.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 18:57

From LV
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

barbless wrote:
Quote:

Now that's really crazy,if anyone should know better it sure should be the PFBC.

The problem isn't that they should know better, they do know better yet they still wreck habitat by mowing right down to the water line. And when you ask them why you get some really lame answers.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 15:30

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
63 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com