HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Relocating to Lewistown
From Gettysburg
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
The Juniata River is an awesome warmwater fishery which flows right through Lewistown.

+1!
The Juniata River is just a great place and fishes well around town. One of my favorite places to fish is right there in town. There's a boat ramp and places to wade as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 12:40

From LV
Look no further then Kish Creek Honey Creek and Treaster Run. Then branch out from there. Just about every blue line in that area holds trout year round.
Then there's the 'J.' One of my best fishing companions live in Lewistown, maybe he'll chime in.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 15:07

From Lewistown, PA
I took a day off from studying and unpacking on tuesday to go explore the area. I did a little more exploring than fishing, but did manage to catch a few fish! I fished a small section of tea creek around lunch time, but didn't catch anything. There were definitely lots of fish there, though. I guess I just need to figure out the stream. Then I went to spring creek, where I managed one brown trout (in the attached picture). I was throwing g all sorts of nymphs, and even a couple streamers at those fish, but what ended up working for me there was a green weenie!

Click to see original Image in a new window

After spring creek I fished honey creek for a little while, and managed to catch a couple 12-14 inch brown trout, and long-distance released a couple more!

Then in the evening I met up with a PAFF'er and fished a secret spot on the Juniata river (thanks timeregulator!). I caught the a pretty decent smallmouth (average sized, according to timeregulator, but pretty big in my eyes) on my first cast! After I learned a little about reading the water, and caught a few more bass, timeregulator proceeded to tell me that it wasn't a very good night for smallmouth. If that was a bad night I'm looking forward to a good one on the Juniata.

I need to tie some more big brown wooly buggers, and a bunch more green weenies before the next time I go out...

Posted on: 2013/8/9 13:02

From South Lebanon Township, PA
That's a great looking Brown. Funny it came on a GW, but hey, give em' what they want!

Lewistown is a good place to settle down if you're a fisherman. Not that I'm in a position to do it, but if I was, Mifflin County would be near tops on my list as a place to build a fishing cabin. Lots of public land with good, small freestoners, some good under the radar limestoners, 45 minutes or less to the big, famous limestoners, and probably the best WW river in the state right there. Plus I can be up there in about 90 minutes as opposed to the nearly 4 hours for the drive to Potter/Tioga...would get a lot more use out of it.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:04

From Ephrata, PA
I only fished Tea Creek once but the stretch we fished really reminded me of a local limestoner in Lebanon Co. It's a stream you fish, jeremy (we talked about it in PM about 2 weeks ago).

So I fished it the same way. Caddis with an olive scud dropped off (or maybe it was a tan scud). It produced well for me.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:07

I need to get up to that area more than I do...my favorite low gradient freestoner is up there and I need to brush up my limestone game. Squatch - Leb/Lanc Co. contingent road trip? I know Salmonoid wanted to make a run up there too.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:12

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah I'd be down. Not til September. My August is NUTS.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:16

I've got some Mondays off in late Sept/early Oct...spread the word.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:17

From Ephrata, PA
I don't. Haha!

Labor Day!

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:24

From Lewistown, PA
@sasquatch: the stretch of tea creek that I was on reminded me more of a brookie stream - steep and fast flowing in most places, and very brushy. I was climbing over fallen trees and practically stepping on fish in places I didn't expect to find them! I think upstream a little of where I was it may be a little more level. Plus I'm sure you remember that I never really figured out how to read that other stream! Lol. I'll definitely be getting a lot more practice now, though.

Maybe if you guys get up here I'll be able to learn a thing or two from you about reading water.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:51

From Ephrata, PA
Okay so you were on the upper end then? We started there the time I fished it (at the Jam 2 years ago). It was a bit tight back there.

Dude the other stream, I have a hard time reading that water too. It just looks all flat with no structure haha! Small streams, I can read. Medium water, not so much. I just cover the crap out of it with my fly and hope for the best!

Posted on: 2013/8/10 8:50

From Johnstown, PA
Isn't Ol Lefty from Lewistown? Or down that way anyhow. I'd try and go with what a local tells you , those streams are written about with much ado but my favorite in that area is on east to Mifflintown exit , go right off the exit and look for what we used to call the old GUSS state park it's Fishing Creek in Mifflin county and then it's upsream till you run out of water. There is a special regs section and i'll never forget you go past a cabin with a sign that says "Rattlesnake".....some real good wild brown and brook in the headwaters. GOOD LUCK!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/14 14:19

From LV
ForTea Creek try a #18 crane fly.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 18:21

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
Jeremy: I was on Treaster Run yesterday 8/17 at 4pm. Fished the lower end of the Bald Eagle SF tract, near Strongs Improvement Rd. Water was low and clear and 60 degrees F. Yellow stoneflies #14 flying about. Caught a brook and a brown. Nice area - plenty of ff opportunities. Congrats and all the best.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 10:41

From Glen Rock PA
If i lived in Lewistown I might be in divorce court after 3-4 months! My wife would have to bring our children down to the Juniata every evening in July, August and Sept (maybe even Oct) just to see daddy. During the colder months I would be harder to find on all the top-notch trout creeks.

So best if I not move there.

I floated the Juniata in mid-july from River-access road to PA boat ramp 6 miles downstream and had a ball! good fishing, bald eagles flying around! I hope to get a day in Sept to float same streatch again.

Have fun fishing!

Posted on: 2013/8/20 8:48

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com