Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Rattling Run - Schuykill County

From Codorus, PA
Thanks for all of the responses!!

I hit up the stream the other day and had a great experience. I started at the BOTTOM and hiked up to the dam area. When I pulled into the lower lot I saw all of the signs that indicated you needed to be a member or a landowner to fish the lower section. Fortunately, there was a very nice gentleman hanging out in his garage and I asked him if it was ok to fish. He was very cool and let me park in his parking area, gave me permission and also gave me some general "tips".

The hike up was fun - hot, humid and buggy ...and I can see what you mean about the rattlers pcray - I was VERY careful. The stream has a ton of ferns, rhodo and other growth but there are some nice open spots as well. I fished for about an hour and a half and caught 16 natives most in the 3-6" range and two 8" fish - they were all beautiful.

I did see the old campsites as well - it looked like they were getting the area cleaned up as someone ran a tractor across the bridge and through the woods clearing a path up to the dam. There was minimal trash from what I could see.

All in all it was a great experience - thanks again for all of the feedback!!

Posted on: 2013/6/15 11:43

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Cool. I've never actually seen the dam, as it's in the posted stretch, and I never fished there. It can't be too far up where I typically hit it, though. When you quit, you were likely getting up to about the area where I start.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 23:02

Troutbert,
The situation that you describe did not always exist. Access was readily available. You could park across from the homes and if you wanted to verify that it was ok somebody was almost always at home to say yes. Access was not a problem.. And there was never a time when you could not park immediately across Rt 61 from the area you describe and then just walk up. As for fishing pressure, given the sensitivities of Pa brook trout streams and their supposed harvest problem, just the local anglers in town should have been all that was needed to crop off the legal fish.. But, the stream was well known by many more within a thirty mile radius, including me as a child, and this still did not happen anymore after stocking was terminated in the early 1980's.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 8:47

Edited by Mike on 2013/6/16 9:33:14

The situation as I described it was from a 1998 visit. That type of access is very intimidating to anglers. It was really the opposite of good, easy access. The great majority of anglers who would drive into a place like that, hoping to fish, would just leave, and go somewhere else.

If you want a good example for a place with easy access, and the fish not being cropped off, you should choose another location.

There are hundreds of streams on public land, that actually have good access. You drive in, you know you are on state forest or gameland, there is a parking area or obvious parking pulloff, and you park, walk and fish. There is no uncertainty at all about the access. And the PFBC has electrofishing reports from those places.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 10:28

From a north central Pa perspective I can see your point, but when a creek like this is in a town and people are used to fishing it, people feel comfortable with doing so. Likewise, when a stream like this has a long history of being fished, especially if there was once a stocking program there, anglers are more comfortable with asking permission. The stream had a large pool of anglers from which to pull prior to the more recent club membership requirement. And let me point out that from the small pool of anglers on this thread, there was one who already asked permission to fish and permission was granted. Intimidation? It's a matter of perspective.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 14:48

Edited by Mike on 2013/6/16 15:38:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com