question about yellow breeches

paphishin89

paphishin89

So the other day I was down on big spring creek caught one of the "monsters" a nice 22 incher (if i new how to post a pic from my phone i would). Well all that is besides the point :lol: Eventually after catching up with an old friend in shippensburg I left her in search of different streams in the area and found myself at yellow breeches. I fishing from the childrens lake down to allenberry and caught an awesome brookie and a brown. My 2 questions are does the yellow breeches get to warm in the summer or is it a good temp all year. My other question is do you think that the brook was wild or do they stock the stream. thanks

paphishin89 wrote:
does the yellow breeches get to warm in the summer or is it a good temp all year. My other question is do you think that the brook was wild or do they stock the stream. thanks

YB does indeed get warm and temps over 75 degrees are common in summer. There are some springs and thermal refuges that allow for trout survival. The spring that forms "The Run" is the largest and stays cold year round.
The stream is heavily stocked and the brookie you caught was a stocked fish. There are some wild browns (I got a very fat six incher yesterday at Allenberry) but generally YB is a stocked fishery.

thanks for the info!

I have also caught wild browns in the allenberry so they're def in there.

If you are heading down stream fish the left, it stays cooler there because of the water coming out of the lake. Check the temps sometime and you will see the diff.

PaulG

It sure seemed to me that once they removed dams from YB a couple years ago I started catching alot more wilds in the reg section.
The old trick is in the summer when it warms, the trout all go to the side that the run at Boiling Springs enters on for quite a ways downstream.

YEP............The water didn't really mix until the rock dam below Allenberry , and if that is one of the dams they removed......Oh Boy!!!!

Speaking of the dams that have been removed, why does the one at allenberry still exist? Seems to me there is no legitimate purpose for it except to slow down, warm up the creek

I think Allenberry has a say about that piece of concrete. It will stay.

How many dams were removed upstream from there?

Another factor could be the improvements in water quality at the Huntsdale hatchery. They added water treatment equipment some years back.

I rarely fish YB so I have no skin in the game, but aside from what Biggie says it hardly seems worth the trouble. It backs up some water for better habitat but not so much that the water warms, especially given the excellent shade in that stretch.

Draining Childrens Lake fills the run and eventually the mainstream withe a goodly ammount of silt (looks like Portland cement). Surely this is an enviornmental issue that should be addressed. Why hasn't the State and/or TU shown any interest with this issue?

Good question Joe. If we did the same thing we would be in Jail.

joebamboo wrote:
Draining Childrens Lake fills the run and eventually the mainstream withe a goodly ammount of silt (looks like Portland cement). Surely this is an enviornmental issue that should be addressed. Why hasn't the State and/or TU shown any interest with this issue?

Have you reported what you saw to DEP?

It has been almost a yearly thing in order to reduce the vegetation" in the Lake. From what I understand, a wealthy individual who owns property on the lake is responsible for the draining. Not sure it that is true, but it seems to be the general consensus.

The Conservation officers occasionaly patrol the Run, they surely are aware of the draining. It is not like it is done secretly.

In your post you criticized other fishermen (TU members) for not acting.

Isn't your obligation exactly the same as theirs?

Also, do we really know that they have not acted? If some TU people had reported it to DEP, it's not likely that you would have heard about it.

Dear Joe CVTU has been very activing in trying to get anwsers on the Pros and Cons of draining Boiling Springs Lake. I have been persoally involved in meeting with our local Pa Fish and Boat staff and we are currently wanting for a report. And it is more than one wealthy person who owns property on the lake that has been pushing for this the past few years to have the lake drained. Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. But the local chapter has been involved with this for the past few years and we have been actively working with PA Fish and Boat.

troutbert, my post was not meant to criticize anyone. I think you may have misunderstood the point I'm trying to make.

How do I PM someone?

jpittman80's post informed us of the facts of the situation. End of story. Time to move on.

Joe,Please do not quit asking questions about a important problem. Jpitt is a good guy but this started well before his time. Also it appears some folks want to keep things quiet. Anyone knowing the details would not reply as such. Keep up the good questions we deserve some better results.

Back