Pohopoco USGS flows

D

Dcap240

I was hoping the pohopoco would be fishable today but according to the usgs flow data they released almost no water the night of the 30th and morning of the 1st and now it's the highest CFS it's ever been by almost 500CFS? This can't be right? Am I reading it wrong?

USGS Flow Poho

It's also showing something similar for the lehigh. Not such high water today but its showing almost no CFS for 30th-1st. Glitch?

They were holding back water to keep the flooding in the Lehigh to a minimum. Now they are lowering the pool of excess water they had built up during the storm. They usually hold it back until the Lehigh has crested and started falling. The amounts on the USGS sites are most likely not wrong.

Ok that makes sense. I looked at that number of max recorded CFS of 748 and thought it was the max flow the crrek has ever hit but now that I thought about it I think it is the max year as an average.
Thanks but I was hoping you were going to say, flows are great, huge hatch going on, dry fly action is awesome. Haha

Live there. Flows are high and basically unfishable. Also not that Pohopoco Drive is closed for the next 2 years.

I drove over it today Sunday and it is the fastest I have ever seen it flowing they have to be releasing a lot of water.

Yeah I stayed away from the Po yesterday. Went to the Lehigh ( in the gorge) expecting it to be unfishable and it actually wasn't to bad but it was pretty high. Ending up having a good day despite the high water. Still grannoms popping up here and there ( nothing like the blizzard of them I saw last Sunday and Monday) and a pretty good hatch of hendricksons turned the fish on after lunchtime. Saw a few blue quills also. I stayed until dark waiting for spent hendricksons but none showed up.

Normal pool for this time of year on Beltzville is 628'. The chart below shows it over 629' currently. You can be sure that the Corps will always be pulling the lake down whenever it is over that level.

USGS.01449790.01.00062..20140427.20140504..0..gif

Back