poe

strap44

strap44

Has anyone done any camping at poe lake? I was there one time as a kid in boy scouts, we biked to it, swam and biked back. Im looking to plan a weekend get away and saw on the DCNR site that they rent boats up there and was wondering if anyone knows anything about that. I think it'd be neat to do some fly fishing on the lake from a kayak

Just to be clear, everything I'm describing is at poe valley state park, not poe paddy.

I stayed there a few years back in one of the camping cottages with my dog. The campground has to be one of the smaller ones in the system but it was still pretty nice. The bathrooms were in great shape, and the campground was quiet and relatively empty. The lake seemed to be pretty busy. I'd recommend it as a nice place to camp.

I drove by the lake on my way to Poe Paddy during the Jam... I was really wishing I had brought my float tube to the jam. I'll not make the mistake of leaving it home next time I'm out that way. Nice little lake and not far from 7 Mountains Camp Ground, although I'd probably camp in Poe Valley or Poe Paddy park next time.

I think that Poe Valley is a great place to camp. I spend quite a bit of time camping at many state parks throughout PA. And don't overlook targeting the many Pickerel that can be found in that lake with your fly rod. They can elicit some lovely strikes to topwaters and streamers.

It's an awesome campground. The lake is stocked with trout, there is also trout in Poe creek by the campground. Penns is 10 min down the road.

Regarding the campground, never stayed there, though the same office handles Poe Paddy, where I have stayed. Poe Paddy is a more primitive campsite, and right on Penns, both which appeal to me more than the more "improved" Poe Valley.

Note that Poe Valley was shut down and underwent construction/renovations in the past year or two. They drained the lake and worked on the dam but also apparantly did a lot to the campground and other facilities. Hence, older reviews you get may not be accurate anymore.

That whole valley is a beautiful location.

Regarding the fishing, it's your standard stocked lake. Could never pass up big wild fish in Penns to fish for stockies. There's a few wild brookies mixed in with stockers in the stream below the lake. Above the lake, it's not a bad wild brookie stream, but it's a patchwork of private land till you get WAY up.

Back