Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Penobscot river Maine

From NH
Thanks for the opportunity to chime in FishMedic. I've been fishing up there for a few decades. A few suggestions.

-Up there brookies and ll salmon our king.
-Bring your longer fly rods.
-Flows(on applicable rivers) and water temps. dicate how you will do. Be flexible. Give a river/pond an hour you will know if they r biting, or not, move on.
-Visit Maine Guide Shop web site to research and when you first get into town. Dan/Penny are straight shooters and have the daily pulse.
-Typically that time of year, streamers less so, caddis and mayfly hatches prevelant.
-Don't forget to try this areas remote trout ponds (rent a canoe on the cheap) early AM and PM. Drakes will start in latter part of your trip. My bride still loves me paddling her around as i fish...
HTH

Posted on: 2013/1/25 13:04

From Da 'Berg, PA
Should be some big golden stones up there that time of year - size 8-10 stimulators will do as a dry for a dry dropper rig with a bh ptn or prince nymph on the dropper in 16-18.

Great for fishing pocket water.

Bass are not a problem on the big rivers, it's the juvi salmon and brook trout that suffered on smaller streams like the lower magalloway.

Congrats on the wedding.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 20:29

From Lehigh Valley, PA
WOW thanks for all the info guys!!! Its definitely appreciated!!! My fiance and I are excited to go!!! We will definitely post up some pics afterwards hopefully with a few hogs in them!!! Thanks!!!!

Posted on: 2013/1/27 8:17

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."

Most of the fishing in my childhood was done at a warmwater lake in Maine, for perch, pickerel and smallmouth bass. Smallies were particularly prized.

But they aren't native to Maine, and they only really belong in warmwater lakes and streams. I think that the introduction of bass into places like the Rangeley Lakes region and the Magalloway is a tragedy. And those introductions are all very recent- within the last 20-30 years.

I don't recall the Penobscot being known as a smallmouth river, either. I think that was recent.

And now the quack "bucket biologists" have introduced northern pike into some Maine lakes, including the Sebago system, which holds one of the hallmark strains of landlocked salmon.

The phenomenon of amateur introductions of non-native species enrages me, at this point. By now, it should be obvious how easily it can get out of control.

I was just surfing weather.com, and these two items caught my eye

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/fishing/goldfish-lake-20130118

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/hun ... hon-hunt-florida-20130121

Posted on: 2013/1/30 21:12

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com