Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

penns creek trip

From Lancaster
takeing my first trip to penns area in april. trying to find an affordable place to stay. cheaper the better as i will not be inside much during the trip. any recomendations from the veterans would be much appreciated. no tent camping, to cold in april for that. thanks.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:21

Re: penns creek trip

From Philadelphia
It's tough to beat the Feathered Hook B&B. IMHO

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:30

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:

Only heard good things about the accommodation at the Feathered Hook. Plus, you are probably woken up by Jonas's voice.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:31

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Philadelphia
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Only heard good things about the accommodation at the Feathered Hook. Plus, you are probably woken up by Jonas's voice.

Only stayed there once (have a place up there now) but the place is nice and neat. Food is really good and plenty of it plus you have access to a tying room and Penn's Creek is about 200 yards away. Not sure of the price now but it was $65 a night when I stayed a few years back.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:44

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
The Feathered Hook always looked appealing. Never stayed there, but it looks nice, great location, and it's always nice to support Jonas.

The Milheim hotel is terrible.

Last year we went up in April, and we rented a cabin at 7 mountains. Same CG as the jam. Just one of the primitive ones, small fridge, microwave, little table, 2 bunks, and that's it.

It was great. Early in the trip it was dropping below freezing at night, even snowed one night. They give you a little space heater but it does the job just fine, cabin was warm and toasty. It's really closer to Poe Paddy than Coburn is. You just cross directly over 322 and take the dirt road in, maybe 25 minutes. Yet it's out on the paved road, and in the right direction, that a trip into State College is easy for groceries and such, and the LJR and Spring are fishing options should Penns be blown out (which is possible/likely in April).

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:59

From Philadelphia
We keep talking about the Feathered Hook. Here's their B&B Website.

http://www.thefeatheredhook.com/inn.html

Posted on: 2013/2/19 13:06

From Cleona, Pa
Nittany budget Inn also is good priced. Farther away form the stream though.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 13:50

From LV
Camping is the cheapest way to go, but many CG's have cabins too, it's a step up from camping but with a similar setting.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 15:03

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, my view on Penns accomadations anymore is:

If proximity to Elk Creek cafe (beer) and fly shop is important - look into the Feathered Hook B&B.

If proximity to stream is important, you are confident stream is in good shape, and are ok with camping - Poe Paddy CG in a tent.

If planning ahead, and concerned about weather conditions for tenting, or stream conditions (Poe Paddy CG is isolated with no other options) - cabin at 7 Mountains Campground is the way to go. Best access to Poe Paddy without being so "pre-committed" to a game plan.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 15:15

From Monessen, PA
Does no one dare mention Hemlock Acres? Inexpensive cabins, some very nice, all others certainly adequate, just no noise after 10 PM.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 15:43

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:

I stayed there a couple times...I think we were woken up by the smell of bacon....yuuummy

Posted on: 2013/2/19 15:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com