Penns Creek Tips

mjv180

mjv180

Well I am fortunate enough to know a guy who knows a guy that has a cabin on Penns a couple of miles downstream from Coburn. My buddies and I are planning a late October trip up there to chase the legendary fall browns.

Just wondering if there are any good pattern recommendations up there? I am assuming dark buggers will be a go to for those aggressive browns but I have heard they can be quite discerning regarding generic fly patterns. Any tips will help....

This is my first trip to Penns and really my first trip on unstocked "wild" waters. So I am hoping I don't come back empty handed.

Cast Steady...

Mike

I hope you do come back empty handed. Not that I do not want you to catch fish but that you throw them back. Honestly, late October is not the best time to be fishing on Penns. At a minimum the fish are pre-spawn, and possibly spawning has already begun.

Agreed on the spawning thing. The sportsmanship aspects of fishing that time of year are a constant debate. I won't take sides. But will say that if you do fish, if you see fish on redds, leave them be, and do your best to avoid wading over gravel areas.

Penns is a tough nut to crack at any time of the year. The fish are there. But they turn on and off quickly and completely, and the guy who plays with the switch must be an eccentric old coot. Just very hard to predict, so while I'll give my plan A, keep in mind that I often end up on plan E or F on Penns, lol.

But I'd probably start by planning to deep nymph the fast water. Biggish nymphs, say, maybe stoneflies or iso's. Find heavy riffs, put on lots of weight, and have at it.

Browns spawn in November at the earliest on most streams, Penns should be no different. Don't fish over actively spawning fish, that is the credo and you'll be fine. Browns that are spawning won't be hitting for the most part anyway as they have more important things on their minds.

Back