Owyhee River, Eastern Oregon

fritz

fritz

Anyone know anything or have experience fishing the Owyhee in Eastern Oregon? I know it's a tailrace and it's supposed to fish well for Browns. My sister lives in Boise and I will most likely go visit her late summer/early September.

It's a good one.

Go.

Browns aren't my thing, so I'd sayfind a place near Boise that has some western natives and have at it, or find them in Oregon. There are plenty of places in OR. to fish for natives which would include steelhead and salmon. But the other guys say it's good so you decide.
I just would go 3,000 miles to fish for browns when I can walk 5 minutes to fish for them.

Well Chaz, primarily I am going 3000 miles to see my sister. She likes to flyfish too so...

This post showed up in my google alerts, so I thought I would join in. I live in Boise and the Owyhee is awesome in September. Bring plenty of hoppers and zebra midges for droppers - 4x or 5x flourocarbon tippett will usually do the trick. Streamer fishing can also get you into same good fish, especially late in the moth when some of the big browns are gearing up to spawn. I typically start all the way up at the dam (park at the picnic area and walk in a few hundred yards) and work my way down. For more info you can also keep an eye on this local fishing site - http://www.troutlie.com/

Good luck and enjoy the high desert scenery!

Are there many trout in the non-tailwater sections upstream? In other words in that very long remote stretch from the headwaters down to the reservoir? I know that people boat that remote part of the river, but are there trout?

They have native redbands (along with stockies) in the headwaters around Elko, NV. Don't know how far down they go.

My son lives in Nevada and I have found trout fishing in the desert to be a very odd and cool experience. All sorts of trout species have been isolated in little trickles. Of course stocked brookies, browns, and bows have complicated things - but native species are more respected now. Getting a Nevada native trout slam would be fun, but it's a big, big mountainous state and those streams are spread pretty far.

Back