Oak Orchard, NY

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Thinking of doing a day trip to Oak Orchard in September since I won't be able to make the Salmon River this year due to my wife expecting at the end of October.

I've never fished there and figured I'd ask around to shorten the learning curve on the area. Any information is appreciated.

Check your Risen email...

Just look for...well...everyone.

IMG_1353640x210_zpsea8a60c9.jpg

meh, looks like the mouth of Elk in PA, been there done that. I hear it's not as good as the Salmon River, but it's 2 hours closer for me and more doable for a day trip.

My understanding is that it far surpasses the SR....at lest for browns. If you are looking to rack up a photo collection of trophy brown trout (hooked jaw and shaped like a bluegill), this may be the ticket. SR would be better for steel, kings, coho, crowds and snaggers.

Yeah I may be a tad early for the browns. Will plan on doing it down the road though. My dates will prob be Sept 21 or 28. I know a few guys who go for browns every year and they have hauled in some pigs.

If the area gets some major blowout rains, the browns will be there then.

Give me a holler. We go to the Oak every year. And there's a lot of great water right near it that gets extremely light pressure.

h

there will be some... thats pretty early for the oak though. it will be as crowded as the sr( if there are fish), definitely more browns than sr, but the sr is a way better fishery. your best bets that early are the bigger rivers (black, oz, salmon, niagara). those 4 will be in full swing with kings, and
a decent mix of browns and steelhead. the smaller creeks will be more hit or miss.

favorite website for stream reports on the Oak?

ryguyfi wrote:
favorite website for stream reports on the Oak?

http://www.orleansoutdoor.com/conditions/conditions.htm

The daily updates will start once the salmon start rolling in the estuary and they start catching them in the piers.

You guys think an 8 weight is too light for salmon? I've got a 9' #8 TFO with a Lamson Konic reel. I know the reel will hold up, but worried about not being able to control the fish once hooked. This is my first year attempting salmon with a fly rod. I've used this mostly for pike, bass, and steelies. Not sure if I wanna drop a few hundo on a rod I'll use 2 or 3 months a year. If I need a heavier rod, any suggestions on one that won't break the bank? Thanks in advance, can't wait to get up there. Gonna start early sept, from what I've seen DSR on SR, has a few fresh fish already

I've seen guys use an 8 wt, and if you know how to use it you'll be fine. Most of the kings are 20lb max so yes it's a big fish, but not unbearable for an 8wt. Check craigslist, ebay and the swap forum, you may find a solid 9 or 10 wt for $100 if you look hard enough. Problem is, everyone else is looking for the same thing this time of year.

I've used 8wt. rods for salmon for 20 years. Have never had a fish break one. I've taken guys up there that never had a fly rod in their hand and they had no problem landing salmon with an 8wt. If they are foul hooked, don't try to land it, just break it off. BTW the heaviest tippet I ever use is 12lb test and most of the time I use 6lb test because I'm fishing for trout. I have landed many salmon with 6lb test. One salmon weighed in at 23.5lbs that was landed with the 6lb. I was in the Archer's Club tournament, that's how I know the exact weight.

There is no need to go heavier than 8 wt for NY Salmon,I use a 8 wt ,11 ft.switch and a 9'6" one hand up there and have no problem landing the fish.Just remember to keep your hands on the cork and you will be fine.

I hear parking at the Archers club is worth the couple bucks. Who fishes there? Do you prefer the water in that area?

theres not much water to fish. you can walk to the archers pool from pretty much anywhere you park.

Tried to PM and was denied access. GG

You tried to PM me GG?

The walk from the Dam to the archers takes like 5-10 minutes. You can pretty much park anywhere up there. I usually park at the Archers for ease and convenience. They also have a pretty fantastic breakfast :)

Back